Saturday, March 29, 2014

Priceless Heavenly Treasures


World conditions are getting to a point where a man can’t make up his mind what to invest in anymore. Interest rates on secure principles are virtually zero forcing one to essentially gamble in unstable commodities and institutions. Vladimir Putin evidently believes the best investment still available is real estate, but as we have recently witnessed in the state of Washington, even that’s not very stable either. I’m not making light of that terrible disaster, only looking at the fact that we have no idea what will disrupt our life tomorrow or the day after. Because mankind has the individual desire to live as one sees fit, to attain that goal, too many are turning to a lifestyle of greed and theft all the way from the top to the lowest of the humanistic food chain. The world is diplomatically dealing with two neighborhood bullies, one trying to destroy the capitalistic way of life and now the other standing on the doorstep of divide and conquer. Like I’ve said many times before, the one with the most toys doesn’t win.

There was a man, neglectful of his family and a real miser, who worked hard all his life and saved a ton of money. He loved money more than just about anything. He had instructed his wife, “When I die I want you to take all my money and place it in the casket with me. I want to take my money to the afterlife.” So he got his wife to promise him this with all her heart, that at his death she would put all his money in the casket with him. Well, one day he died. He was stretched out in the casket; the wife was sitting there in black next to her best friend. When they finished the ceremony, just before the undertaker got ready to close the casket, the wife said, “Just a minute!” She had a shoebox in hand and approached the open casket where-in she placed the box. Then the undertaker locked down the casket and rolled it away. Her friend said, “I hope you weren’t crazy enough to put all that money in the casket!” The wife replied, “Yes, I promised. I’m a good Christian and I can’t lie. I promised him I would put that money in the casket with him.” The friend asked in disbelief, “You mean to tell me you put every cent of his money in that casket?” “I sure did,” said the wife. “I got it all together; put it in my bank account, and wrote him a check for the full amount.”

[Matthew 6:19-24 & Colossians 2:1-4] Jesus said, “Do not store for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves don’t break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” And like the commercial says, “Everybody knows that!” But did you know there is a heavenly treasure you can possess on earth? Paul, writing encouraging words to the Colossians said, “My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments.” Jesus, the Word of God (John 1:14), is the heavenly treasure we can enjoy here on earth. Through God’s Word, we have a treasure of wisdom and knowledge unsurpassed by anything man can present as a perfect lifestyle. “…seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you…” (Matthew 6:33). Love, wisdom, knowledge and a firm faith in Christ, are priceless treasures.

No comments: