Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Fullest Of Measure

Have you ever been searching for something and come across something else which leads you completely away from what you were doing in the first place? I do it all the time. My biggest problem is while digging deep trying to find something, I’ll un-bury a treasure of long ago and sit down to fiddle with it, reminiscing of a time when it was important in my life. I can’t recall what I was looking for the other day when I came across my old slide rule. I would venture to guess that most anyone born after 1975 has probably never seen a slide rule let alone know what it was. A slide rule was pretty much basic equipment for those who quickly needed answers to simple mathematical calculations, i.e. building engineers, on site architects, draftsmen, etc. The slide rule was a precursor to the hand calculator of today. It was very accurate to one decimal point, but generally needed long-hand calculation verification to take a solution out to three places plus. I never really got too proficient with it as the military draft took me away from my blossoming profession and only a few years passed until the world was enlightened by the electronic age and the hand-held calculator with precise accuracy. Anyway, I sat and played with it for nearly an hour then packed it away once again till the next time. I forgot what I was looking for in the first place, but I’m sure I’ll go looking for it again as soon as I discover the unfinished job I was working on.

While watching the TV weatherman, as he pointed out areas of rain across the country on his computerized map, a young boy overheard his parents saying how they wished the rain would come to their drought stricken area. The boy suggested, “Why doesn’t he just click on the rain and drag it down to us?” Our world today is being shaped by our unique pollex, opposable thumbs, working in unison at lightening speed “sharing information” and/or the click of a mouse dragging data from one place to another. It won’t be long before a printed book on the shelf is a marvel of the past.

[1 Timothy 6:17-19] As Paul teaches Timothy how to be an effective preacher and leader in the church, he says, “Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.” Today our lives are being measured for success by how much each of us is worth by our monetary possessions. Most are willing to look at life with simple calculations carrying solutions out to one decimal place saying, “That’s close enough.” Of course, there is nothing wrong with having a good job with a good salary. That we are to work to sustain our existence is God’s will for us. Paul also instructs Timothy, “If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever” (1 Timothy 5:8). Success from a worldly standpoint is one thing, but in view of heaven and hell, success must be viewed from a spiritual perspective. Nothing can compare to the glory, beauty and joy of heaven. Nothing can compare to the pain, suffering and eternity of hell. In the final analysis, success must be defined in the light of God’s judgment. We must carry out God’s Word to the fullest measure (James 1:22).

No comments: