Sunday, October 26, 2014

You Are Invisible

Our relationship with the world is at times so paradoxical it becomes confusing and frustrating. Comedians and satirists exploit this situation in “paraprosdokian” sentences which are a figure of speech where the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. For example: * “Light travels faster than sound and this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.” * “It seems we never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.” * “Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit and wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.” * “The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.” * “The evening news is where a reporter begins with ‘Good Evening’ and then proceeds to tell you why it isn’t.” * “I thought I wanted a career but it turns out I only wanted paychecks.” * “A bank is a place that will lend you money, but only if you can prove you don’t need it.” * “Why do Americans choose from just two people to run for President and 50 for Miss America?” * “I used to be indecisive, but now I’m not sure.” * “You’re never too old to learn something stupid.” * “War does not determine who is right, only who is left.” And probably my very favorite – “Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.” - Don’t forget to vote November 4th.

Have you ever considered the relationship between two healthy eyes? They blink together; they move together; they cry together; they see things together; they sleep together; but they never ever see each other. (I know – the mirror thing. Humor me:-)
[John 14:1-11; 20:24-29] Have you thought about your relationship with God? Most people have a problem with wrapping their arms around something they can’t see. When Jesus says, “…Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9), his closest followers had a hard time understanding that, until they learned more and witnessed more of his works and the fulfillments of prophecy. Later Jesus said to the same followers, “…Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed” There’s where you and I come in. Our faith in God and his promises comes from the Bible; God’s Word; the inspired writings of the patriarchs, prophets, Apostle’s and church founders. “…faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ” (Romans 10:17). We have never seen God, or Christ, or the Holy Spirit, but we have an intense inner feeling of spiritual connection we cannot explain, and sometimes go so far as trying to explain it away. Why should I deny myself (Mark 8:34-38), or become a slave (Matthew 20:25-28), or love my enemies (Luke 6:27-36) so I can please a being I can’t relate to one on one? I hear ya. I’ve had the same thoughts. Unlike worldly situations, nobody is going to make you go to heaven if you don’t want to. You’ll not be dragged into heaven kicking and screaming. God has given you the right to decide for yourself. God is not complicated. He has given us everything we need to live a righteous life, free of self and greed (Luke 12:22-34). We question: What if it’s all a fairytale, like the modern day scholars are telling us? I’ve got nothing to lose. I ask: What if it’s true? Now you have everything to lose. Jesus said, “What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?” (Luke 9:25) Listen to your spirit; the real invisible you.

No comments: