Sunday, November 16, 2014

Busy, Busy, Busy

I can remember a time when one didn’t dare whisper the word Christmas until the last of the Thanksgiving turkey was gone from the refrigerator. Today it’s practically illegal to relate Christ to the “Holiday Season” for fear of offending someone, but that’s another issue all together. This year seems to be completely out of control with all the “gift giving” experts submitting their perfect time to shop analyses. They have fine-tuned the proper schedule for you to do your holiday shopping, netting you the greatest savings on your spending budget. There is a Greek word for all this hype – “Hog-wash!” All the retailers are trying to do is get you to come to their store with a certain thing in mind and they will be ready to accommodate you in that area. Face it. Retailers couldn’t wait to get school supplies and Halloween stuff off the shelf to fill them with goodies tempting you to empty your wallet over and over again before the end of the year. It’s all a hoax to make you think you’re sharing your God given love.

[1 Kings 20] Ben-Hadad king of Aram mustered an army, with the alliance of several other kings, to attack Ahab, king of Israel. The account reveals God sending a prophet to Ahab with instructions of how to overcome this attack. Ahab followed God’s orders and war was averted. Ben-Hadad came to Ahab and asked for a treaty of peace whereupon Ahab called Ben-Hadad “brother” and signed a treaty with him. As far back as the Exodus from Egypt, God told the leaders of the Israel nation, “…I will hand over to you the people who live in the land and you will drive them out before you. Do not make a covenant with them or with their gods. Do not let them live in your land, or they will cause you to sin against me, because the worship of their gods will certainly be a snare to you. (Exodus 23:31-33). The prophet took this matter to King Ahab that he might pass judgment, thus convicting himself (1 Kings 23:35-42). God has given you and I his very own son as the full sacrifice for our sins. In verse 40, the prophet illustrated King Ahab’s disobedience to God’s will, “…While your servant was busy here and there, the man disappeared.” I’m afraid too many of us are getting so busy here and there that Jesus, our Savior, has disappeared. We are writing far too many treaties with the world and the gods in it, instead of slaying the tempters snares.

Dear Friend; I’m sending you this note to tell you how much I love you and care for you. I saw you yesterday as you were talking with your friends. I waited all day hoping that you would want to talk with me as well. As evening drew near, I gave you a sunset to close your day and a cool breeze to rest you. I waited, but you never came. Yes, it hurt me, but I still love you. I saw you fall asleep last night and I longed to touch your brow, so I spilled moonlight upon your pillow and face and again I waited for a chance to talk with you – but you never came. I have so many blessings I want to bestow upon you, but you never seem to have time for me. This morning you awakened late and rushed off without our being able to visit. My tears fell with the rain. If you would only let me tell you how much I love you. I try to tell you in the blue sky and in the quiet green grass. I whisper in the leaves and breathe it in the colors of the flowers. I shout it from the wind rustling through the trees and give the birds love songs to sing. If you only knew how much I long to visit and talk with you. Please call me …and don’t forget …I love you! Your friend forever; Jesus. Are you too busy to notice He’s there?

No comments: