Saturday, February 21, 2015

What's To Complain About?

In the world today where there is so much to complain about we seem to forget all the good that is keeping most of us propped up and pressing forward. I began a new regiment about five years ago of regular visits to the doctor just to hold a piece of mind that I’m doing a good job of maintaining my health. Except for a few minor infractions the doctor told me the other day, “You’ll probably be the healthiest person I see today” and sent me on my way for six months. Armed with an appointment, and the confidence of my health professional I can keep it, I’m on my honor to improve those things in my physical health lacking the personal attention they deserve. Pass the tortillas please.

Here are a few lessons of life for good health from Will Rogers: * Don’t squat with your spurs on. * Never slap a man who’s chewing tobacco. * Never kick a cow chip on a hot day. * There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works. * Never miss a good chance to shut up. * Always drink upstream from the herd. * If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. * The quickest way to double your money is to fold it and put it back in your pocket. * Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. * Lettin’ the cat out of the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin’ it back in. * If you’re riding ahead of the herd, take a look back now and then to make sure it’s still there. (“Natural born leaders” might take note of that.)

[James 1: 19-27] I have been settled in my present abode for thirty-five years now and if you knew me back when… you also knew I was leading a pretty ruff life at my own hand. The other day I re-found a little essay, which uses many different titles, but no author attached, that brought me into remembrance of the change in me that took most by surprise. “Many years ago I entered the wonderful temple of God’s revelation. I entered the portico of Genesis and walked down through the Old Testament Art Gallery where the pictures of Adam, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Joshua, Samuel, David, and Daniel hung on the wall. I entered the Music Room of the Psalms where the Spirit swept the keyboard of nature, and brought forth the dirge-like wail of the weeping prophet Jeremiah; to the grand, impassioned strains of Isaiah, until it seemed that every reed and harp in God’s organ of nature responded to the tuneful touch of David, the sweet singer of Israel. I entered the chapel of Ecclesiastes where the voice of the preacher was heard, and I passed into the conservatory of Sharon where the lily of the valley’s sweet-scented spices filled and perfumed my life. I entered the business room of the Proverbs and passed into the observatory room of the prophets where I saw many telescopes of various sizes, some pointing to far off events, but all concentrated upon the Bright Morning Star, which was soon to rise over the moonlit hills of Judea, for our salvation. I entered the audience room of the King of Kings and caught a vision from the standpoint of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. I entered the Acts of the Apostles where the Holy Spirit was doing his office work in the forming of the early church. I passed into the Correspondence room where sat Paul, Peter, James, Jude, and John penning their epistles. I stepped into the Throne of Revelation, where all towered into glittering peaks. I got a vision of the King seated upon his throne in all His glory and I cried: All hail the power of Jesus’ name! Let angels prostrate fall, Bring forth the royal diadem And crown Him Lord of all.” Amen!

No comments: