Saturday, January 13, 2018

Lord, Help Me improve


As we enter the third week of 2018 I’ll bet there are those who have already slipped away from some of their resolutions for the year. It’s easy to do once we get back into our “normal” routines, which we are so used to, after the dust has settled from the holidays. We make ourselves a lot of promises when we discover last year’s clothing didn’t fit like it used to and our stamina walking the malls and playing with the grand-children is waning due to the lack of daily exercise. The two most common New Year’s resolutions are to lose weight and exercise more. Shamefully, most of us just can’t seem to fit physical fitness into our daily schedules. Fast food and automobiles have us all a little out of shape and our blood-work awry. It takes a change of mind to assert physical change and working on the spirit and adjusting the way we think about our self can bring about great change. Take charge and quit looking for excuses for why you can’t do it.

“Sick” by Shel Silverstein “I cannot go to school (church) today,” Said little Peggy Ann McKay. “I have the measles and the mumps, A gash, a rash and purple bumps. My mouth is wet, my throat is dry, I’m going blind in my right eye. My tonsils are as big as rocks, I’ve counted sixteen chicken pox And there’s one more - that’s seventeen. And don’t you think my face looks green? My leg is cut, my eyes are blue - It might be instamatic flu. I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke, I’m sure that my left leg is broke. My hip hurts  when I move my chin, My belly button’s caving in, My back is wrenched, my ankle’s sprained, My ’pendix pains each time it rains. My nose is cold, my toes are numb, I have a sliver in my thumb. My neck is stiff, my voice is weak, I hardly whisper when I speak. My tongue is filling up my mouth; I think my hair is falling out. My elbow's bent, my spine ain’t straight. My temperature is one-0-eight. My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear, There is a hole inside my ear. I have a hangnail, and my heart is - What? What's that?  What's that you say? You say today is Saturday? G’bye, I’m going to the mall today!” Is everything okay as long as it’s my way?

[Luke 14:27] “...anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.” You must take charge of your spiritual life because - “You Can't Fool God” (by Grenville Klieser): You can fool the hapless public, You can be a subtle fraud, You can hide your little meanness, But you can't fool God! You can advertise your virtues, You can self achievement laud, You can load yourself with riches, But you can't fool God! You can criticize the Bible You can be a selfish clod, You can lie, swear, drink, and gamble, But you can't fool God! You can magnify your talent, You can hear the world applaud, You can boast yourself somebody, But you can't fool God! Resolve that during the year 2018 I will: Like Paul, forget those things which are behind and press forward (Philippians 3:12-14). Like David, lift up my eyes to the hills from which my help comes (Psalm 121:1-2). Like Abraham, trust my God implicitly (Hebrews 11:8). Like Enoch, walk in daily fellowship with my heavenly Father (Genesis 5:21-24). Like Moses, suffer rather than enjoy the pleasure of sin for a time (Hebrews 11:24-26). Like Job, be patient and faithful in all circumstances (James 5:11). Like Joseph, turn my back on all evil advances (Genesis 39:12). Like Gideon, advance even when my friends are few (Judges 6:14-16). Like Andrew, strive to lead my brother to Christ (John 1:40-42a). I pray you don’t give up your self-improvement. Ask the Lord daily to help improve you.

No comments: