Saturday, February 17, 2018

Coin In My Pocket


I was taking inventory of all the stuff I tote around in my pockets every day. Like Dennis the Menace every item is important and generally needed sometime throughout the day. A phone, keys, wallet, note pad, pens, comb and handkerchief, antacid tablets and a small coin I’ve carried like forever. It’s the size of a half-dollar and embossed on one side is an eagle along with the words, “Man of God.” On the other side is a quote from Isaiah 40:31, “But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles...” I continue to carry this coin because it is a lasting reminder for me of who’s I am and who I should continually strive to be every day.

“The Cross In My Pocket” by Verna Mae Thomas: “I carry a cross in my pocket, A simple reminder to me; Of the fact that I am a Christian, No matter where I may be. This little cross is not magic, Nor is it a good luck charm; It isn’t meant to protect me, From every physical harm. It’s not for identification, For all the world to see; It’s simply an understanding, Between my Savior and me. When I put my hand in my pocket, To bring out a coin or a key; The cross is there to remind me, Of the price He paid for me. It reminds me too to be thankful, For my blessings day by day; And to strive to serve Him better, In all I do and say. It’s also a daily reminder, Of the peace and comfort I share; With all who know my Master, And give themselves to His care. So, I carry a cross in my pocket, Reminding no one but me; That Jesus Christ is Lord of my life, If only I’ll let Him be.” I couldn’t explain carrying around the coin in my pocket any better.

[Psalm 119:105-112] Several years ago I saw a pair of bumper snickers on the rear of a car in a parking lot somewhere and I made a mental note of them thinking of developing a lesson around them some day. One read: “Yes Lord, We Will Ride With You” and the other read: “Get In, Sit Down, Shut Up and Hold On!” I can’t help but combine the two statements in my mind and think, “so often it seems that people really act in that manner towards Christ.” It seems nearly the entire religious world, and millions of folks who don’t even claim to be faithful, declare a deep reverence for Jesus Christ. They are willing to say to Him, “get in” or “come into my life,” however, for Jesus to come into one’s life, he or she must first enter into Christ. In Galatians 3:27, Paul wrote, “...for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” Without obedience to Christ, a plea for Him to enter our lives is in vain (Matthew 7:21-23). Then there are those who enter into Christ, but by their actions they have said to Him, “sit down and shut up.” They say, “I love you Lord, but I don’t want to hear what you have to say about pre-marital sex” (1 Corinthians 6:18). They say, “Save me Lord, but I don’t think it’s necessary to commemorate your death with the Lord’s Supper every first day of the week” (Acts 20:7). They say, “I am yours Lord, but I will not hear your ways.” “Woe to the obstinate children,” declares the Lord, “to those who carry out plans that are not mine, forming an alliance, but not by my Spirit, heaping sin upon sin;” (Isaiah 30:1). We must be so careful that our lives do not send this message to the Lord: “Get in Lord, but hold on because I’m driving!” Jeremiah wrote: “I know, O Lord, that a man’s life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps” (Jeremiah 10:23). We must have the humility to realize that God’s way is ever superior to our own. So, let go of the steering wheel of self-will, and let Him take control. Wait on the Lord and sore on eagle’s wings.

No comments: