Saturday, August 02, 2014

Unexpected Troubles

If you are a regular reader of my column you probably know my history with vocal cord problems. If not, I have had several surgeries on them to remove growths and pre-cancerous tissues all of which, thank God, have never shown full blown cancer. Because of this condition I have a regular inspection of my throat and vocal cords just to keep an eye on them and jump in whenever an unfavorable change is noted. The inspection of my throat is done with a camera all-the-while I am squeaking out funny “he-he-he” in a high pitch then “he-he-he” in as low a pitch as possible. Then it’s inhale and exhale two or three times getting the throat and cord a good workout and recording it all on the computer. During my last check-up, about six weeks ago, one cord had a noticeable change in color and when I inhaled this great big cyst jumped out of hiding taking the tech by surprise. Here we go again! My ENT of twenty years asked what I thought we aught to do about it. I trust him enough to tell him whatever he thinks we need to do. The challenge of each of these surgeries is to get my voice back and sing praises to my Lord, which is still a mystery to my doctors. I continue to achieve this goal each time. Well, I had surgery last week to remove and biopsy all the bad stuff. I don’t have an answer yet but the surgeon was very positive about what he saw. This was unexpected for me, but as I’m healing from this most recent surgery I can confidently say, I feel great and can’t wait to get singing again. God loves me.

[Luke 21:34-36] If you think life isn’t fair, you’re absolutely right. Just about the time you become complacent, thinking everything’s going perfect, grab your wallet, because easy living is about to cost you something. “…The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all. Moreover, no man knows when his hour will come: As fish are caught in a cruel net, or birds are taken in a snare, so men are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedly upon them” (Ecclesiastes 9: 11-12). A father was watching his young son struggle to lift a heavy rock. The little fellow grunted and strained, but couldn’t move it. The father said, “Are you sure you’re using all your strength?” The exhausted boy said, “Yes, I am!” The father replied, “No you’re not. You haven’t asked me to help you.” How true. We grunt and struggle with our burdens in this earthly life, often forgetting that our Father in heaven is always willing to aide us. “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28). Have you ever thought about how easy Adam had it? He’s the only man who has never been compared to the man she could have married. He had no in-laws to drop in unannounced. There were no “Jones’” for him to keep up with. There were no credit cards or shopping centers to deal with. His dinner was never interrupted by a telemarketer. His wardrobe was simple. He never had to shovel snow. I thank God I can go to surgery with the total confidence that He is in charge, and my faith in Him brings peace into my world of unexpected happenstances. How do I gain such contentment? It is through Jesus: “I can do everything through Him who gives me strength” (Philippians 4:13). Stop struggling and ask God. “But Tom, he doesn’t seem to ever help me.” Okay; read James 4:1-8 and 1 John 5:14-15 and ask with the heart. Then, read the Bible daily and learn of the one who loves and will always care for you.

No comments: