Saturday, September 27, 2014

If

I received a phone call one day last week from a fellow identifying himself as the prize van driver for Publishers Clearing House and that I had won second place in a drawing. My prize consisted of $350 million and a new Mercedes Benz convertible. The first thing that ran through my mind was, “Wow! I wonder what first place won.” A millisecond later my logical side pulled in on the reins of my foolish excitement to explain the ridiculousness of what I had just heard. The scammer told me to get a piece of paper to write down a name and number of his boss to confirm who I was before the prize could be delivered. I knew better but found myself actually looking for something to write on. This guy must have caught me at a weak moment because I had already hung up on him three times and I generally never spend more than four seconds on the phone with sales cons. Well, he called back two more times wanting to know why I hadn’t called to confirm my identity. I humored him with some excuses. He told me he was waiting right down the street and that the sun was beating down on the van and it was getting very hot so I should hurry for his sake. The sun was not shining neither was it hot out, so I laughed and hung up on him again. “If I had a hammer, I’d…”
“If” is a big word and the world would be a totally different place if “if” would be actively and appropriately applied. *If you plant honesty, you will reap trust. *If you plant goodness, you will reap friends. *If you plant humility, you will reap greatness. *If you plant perseverance, you will reap contentment. *If you plant consideration, you will reap perspective. *If you plant hard work, you will reap success. *If you plant forgiveness, you will reap reconciliation. So, be careful what you plant early in life for it will determine what you reap later. Always be careful of what you plant. Remember, what goes around comes around. Do what is right and you’ll never be wrong.
[Genesis 4:6-7] “If” can be rewarding and at the same time very restrictive. “If” can look good on the surface and wrong in practice. “If only we had better equipment” was the request, and in the early 70’s the firefighters of Fairfax County, Virginia received new helmets. They were sharp looking, colorful, size adjustable, made of high-impact plastic and scuff resistant. There was only one problem with the helmets; when they were worn near the heat of a fire, they melted. This, of course, made the helmets useless to the firefighters. They needed helmets that could take the heat. In the same way, we need a faith that can take the heat; a faith that endures the fires of temptation and protects us in the midst of the blazes of sin. If Christ were to stand before you right now and said, “Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned” (Mark 16:16), what would you do? If the Lord will save us without baptism, why did Peter command it? (Acts 10: 23-48) If sprinkling and pouring are scriptural baptism, why did Paul say there is only one baptism? (Romans 6:1-6; Colossians 2:11-12) If we can receive forgiveness of sins without baptism, why did Peter say baptism is for the forgiveness of sins? (Acts 2:38) If we get into Christ without baptism, why did Paul say we are baptized into Christ? (Galatians 3:27; Romans 6:3) If we get into the body of Christ without baptism, why did Paul say we are baptized into the body? (1 Corinthians 12:13) The body and the church are the same. (Colossians 1:18) “If you love me, you will obey what I command” (John 14:15) Do you truly love and obey Jesus?

No comments: