Saturday, September 03, 2016

How Valuable Is One Soul?


The fast-pace, multi-tasking, at the speed of light lifestyle some live, actually seems to be forming a cocoon around them, putting them into a state of blindness. Knowing that there are drivers on the road who can’t see and react to a big yellow school bus, stopped in the middle of the road, with flashing red lights all over it and signs that read STOP!, has me concerned as to the probability of getting home alive each day. The children getting on and off buses are always less attentive to traffic hazards than the drivers around them, at times resulting in bodily injury, and death. I hope enough tickets get issued where drivers start concentrating on the road and the task at hand rather than all the electronic gadgets and gizmos around them. Is a text or a phone call worth a life?

My sister’s health continues to decline, but my brother, Art, and her companion, Earl, continue to watch over her care every day. It’s sad to visit and see the changes in other patients, also declining in health. But, I think the saddest part of all is 90% or more never receive a visit of any kind. No, there’s nothing I can do about her health, but I can encourage Art and Earl, and above all, the staff of nurses who devote their life to life.

Jesus Loves Me (Senior Version) Jesus loves me this I know; Though my hair is white as snow. Though my sight is growing dim; Still He bids me trust in Him. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me, The Bible tells me so. Though my steps are oh, so slow; With my hand in His I’ll go. On through life, let come what may; He’ll be there to lead the way. When the nights are dark and long; In my heart He puts a song, Telling me in words so clear, “Have no fear, for I am near.” When my work on earth is done; And life’s victories have been won. He will take me home above; Then I’ll understand His love. I love Jesus, does He know? Have I ever told Him so? Jesus loves to hear me say; That I love Him every day. Let a senior know you love them, too.

[Proverbs 11:30] “The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise” How valuable is one soul? The Master said, “What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?” (Matthew 16:26). One soul is worth more than “the whole world.” Every soul is valuable because it is made in the image of God. Since “God is Spirit” (John 4:24), our likeness to Him must be spiritual, not physical. Like Him, we have intellect, emotion, conscience and volition. Every soul is valuable because Jesus died for it! It is true that “God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son” (John 3:16), but let us not lose sight of the value of one soul in the midst of the 7.4 billion in the world today. Hebrews 2:9 tells us that Jesus died for every person! Every soul is valuable because it is immortal. The soul is the only part of man that will live beyond this life. The soul - your soul, my soul and every other person’s soul - will live forever! “For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality” (1 Corinthians 15:53). Every soul is valuable because heaven rejoices over the salvation of just one! When the woman in the Master’s story found her once lost coin, she rejoiced. The Master said, “In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents” (Luke 15:10). Knowing the value of the soul should accomplish two things: it should affect how we care for our own souls and it should motivate us to care for the souls of others. SOS - Save One Soul! Make this your goal!

No comments: