Saturday, September 24, 2016

We Could All Do Better


Well, I’ve been to Houston this weekend to attend the memorial for my sister. I can’t tell you about it yet for I’m writing early this week before I go. I do know I will be delivering the eulogy and I suspect many Houstonians, her colleagues of thirty years at Dow Chemical will be present to share some great memories and reverently say good-bye in their own special way. There will be family coming in from far and wide to celebrate her homecoming and share a meal of thanksgiving that will announce that we are all in a better place with Carri at rest in the arms of the Lord. After a few stories, some laughter and some catching up between one another, like a family reunion, we’ll probably promise each other to “keep in touch” through texting, email, Chat, Facebook, Messenger and all that good stuff, which may or may not receive follow-up by one or all parties. Then it will be time to rush back home to our ticky-tacky houses and antivenin world to do whatever it is we do to survive another day in this cruel unfair life. Rest in peace sis.

“Behind Me” by H. L. Gradowith: I'm gonna lay down all of this life's burdens; And I’m gonna lay down all of this life's cares. Yes I'm gonna leave them all far behind me; When I reach that Lovely Country over There! I'm gonna leave all my frowns behind me; And I'm gonna have a heart that never breaks. The Lord's gonna wipe all the tears from my eyes, Up There, in that Lovely Land of no mistakes! The Lord will give me all I ever need, There! Yes, the Lord will call my name and say, Well done! I will never want up There for anything! When, at long last, my Savior welcomes me Home!

[1 John 3:17-18; 4:20]  “If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with action and truth; If someone says, ‘I love God,’ yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen.” Don’t we all wish that everyone would be a better person? Do we not hope that some bad people would turn their lives around and start doing good? Do we wish our neighbor would treat us better than before? Do we hope that the people we meet each day would show us respect and treat us fairly? If we expect others to be nicer and fairer, should we not make the effort as well? The Golden Rule is that we should treat others the way we would want them to treat us (Luke 6:27-31). Be a better person now. Do not wait until next year and make a resolution about it. D0 not put it off until next week or even tomorrow. Start right now. Look at the person closest to you and show them love. Pick up the phone and call someone who would appreciate a thoughtful consideration. Help someone who needs it, and even if they do not need help, help them anyway. Perhaps they will return the favor and help someone else. If we would just try, we could turn our society around and make it a pleasant adventure each day to interact with others. Smile. Wish someone a nice day. Be courteous. Encourage others to be good. Tell people about God and His promises and meditate upon God’s Word. Don’t just talk the talk, but walk the walk. Show your love to others. One way to turn your life around is to change your focus. When you focus upon God you become a better person. When you focus upon helping others, you become a better person. Our goal is to get people focused upon God and become people that are better. Our community would be much better if more people were better, kinder, wiser.

No comments: