Saturday, November 19, 2016

Still Alive


I woke up the other morning and while lying still, and quietly greeting my Lord, thanking Him for another day I get to play and strive to get things right, I thought, “I must be dead!” for nothing hurt. The usual back pains and other muscle aches seemed to be at an absolute minimum for the first time in a long time. My euphoric state of mind was rudely interrupted when my faithful bedside clock sounded it’s scheduled wake-up call with a little rock-n-roll to get the day started. Reaching to silence the noise, so not to awaken the whole house, was literally a pain in the neck, and reality set in, I was alive.

Ah, The Golden Years! A row of bottles on my shelf, Caused me to analyze myself. One yellow pill I have to pop, Goes to my heart so it won't stop. A little white one that I take, Goes to my hands so they won't shake. The blue ones that I use a lot, Tell me I'm happy when I'm not. The purple pill goes to my brain, And tells me that I have no pain. The capsules tell me not to wheeze, Or cough or choke or even sneeze. The red ones, smallest of them all, Go to my blood so I won't fall. The orange ones, very big and bright, Prevent my leg cramps in the night. Such an array of brilliant pills, Helping to cure all kinds of ills. But what I'd really like to know, Is what tells each one where to go? (stories-etc.com) Life is like a toilet paper roll – the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.

[Ecclesiastes 12] (From the World Bible Translation Center, Inc; Easy-To-Read Version) “Remember your Creator while you are young, before the bad times of old age come – before the years come when you say, ‘I have wasted my life.’ Remember your Creator while you are young, before the time comes when the sun and the moon and the stars become dark to you. And troubles come again and again like one storm after another. At that time, your arms will lose their strength. Your legs will become weak and bent. Your teeth will fall out and you will not be able to chew your food. Your eyes will not see clearly. You will become hard of hearing. You will not hear the noise in the streets. Even the stone grinding your grain will seem quiet to you. You won’t be able to hear the women singing. But even the sound of a bird singing will wake you in the morning because you won’t be able to sleep. You will be afraid of high places. You will be afraid of tripping over every small thing in your path. Your hair will become white like the flowers on an almond tree. You will drag yourself along like a grasshopper when you walk. You will lose your desire to live. And then you will go to your eternal home. The mourners will gather in the streets as they carry your body to the grave. Remember your Creator when you are young, before the silver rope snaps and the golden bowl is crushed; before your life becomes useless, like a jar broken at the well; before your life becomes wasted like a stone cover on a well that breaks and falls in. Your body came from the earth. And when you die, your body will go back to the earth. But your spirit came from God. And when you die, your spirit will go back to God. ...The most important thing a person can do is to respect God and obey his commands. Why? Because God knows about all the things people do – even the secret things. He knows about all the good things and all the bad things. He will judge everything people do.” If I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself for sure. But God gives wisdom to young and old alike, that the process of aging will yield more comfort with the Creator in one’s heart and mind to soothe the failing earthly body. Yep!

No comments: