Saturday, February 11, 2017

I've Got To Start...


Here it is, mid February already. We’ve been experiencing a typical South Texas winter with three or four days of cold and wet weather, then back to warm, sometimes hot weather, just to remind us of the beautiful spring-time ahead with wildflowers galore ready to pop out of the ground in a matter of weeks. It won’t be long before we see farmers in the field tilling the soil getting it ready for seed. In four weeks we’ll spring-forward with our clocks into daylight-savings time removing that “it’s already dark” excuse from my procrastination list as to why I can’t be out working in the yard after an eight hour work day. I still can’t help being at least a little bit motivated working around the house out-of-doors during the winter months when I compare mowing the grass to shoveling snow. As I write this day I’m a year older and after 2016, a year full of excuses, with surgeries and illnesses, as to why this or that hasn’t gotten done in my life, I’m doing my best to get motivated out of my chair. I stuck with my diet last year and at thirty pounds lighter at least I feel like doing something constructive. Although I feel 35-years-old I need to be careful with ladders and such for I doubt I’ll bounce as well as I used to if I hit the floor. My knees already don’t work as well getting up off the floor.

“I’ve got to start…” You may actually know someone who has begun a sentence using these words. The words that I’ve heard used most often to complete this sentence are “exercising” and “eating right.” It appears that most of us have a sense of what it will take to improve our health. The key to accomplishing the desired improvement is truly given in this statement. It is the word “start.” We may be playing mind games with ourselves when we utter these words, because if we never start, we will not have to continue the process. Perhaps we feel that we can handle the guilt better than the discipline. Nevertheless, if we don’t get started we’ll never feel better about ourselves.

[James 1: 19-25] What about our spiritual well-being? Have we not also heard someone, perhaps ourselves say, “I’ve got to start studying my Bible more regularly”? We believe what Jesus said about those who “hunger and thirst after righteousness” (Matthew 5:6), but we are still waiting to start. What about the one who says, “I’ve got to start visiting like I should”? We believe what James wrote about “pure religion” consisting of visiting the “fatherless and the widows in their affliction” (James 1:27), but we just cannot seem to get started. In reality, when we make these statements, we are taking the first step; i.e., admitting the personal need and responsibility we hold for ourselves and others. Now all we need to do is specify our action. Instead of repeating the “I’ve got to” part, say, “I will start (a specific activity) today at (a time).” Next, set a reminder to repeat the new activity and adjust it to fit your schedule, then, GET STARTED! Change for the better will become reality when we do what we have promised ourselves to do. Studying and doing the will of God not only changes ones life but ultimately reconciles our sinful self to God through Christ Jesus. Paul exhorted, “As God’s fellow workers we urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain. For he says, ‘In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.’ I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation.” (2 Corinthians 6:1-2). Pray to God about your life and the changes you would like to see come about. Be sincere and willing to endure loss in order to receive gain. Don’t give up! Let’s get started today, with God.

No comments: