Saturday, October 15, 2016

They're Your Buttons!


I guess y’all know early voting has started and I for one am going to take full advantage of the opportunity. I can’t stand all the hoop-la any longer, and I figure if I cast my vote now, I can then don a set of ear plugs, put on some blinders and get back to life without getting all upset about the political mess we’re facing. It seems nearly every conversation I have, I tend to drag it down into “the mud, and the blood, and the beer” of everything that’s wrong with our present political system. Complaining about it over coffee doesn’t do much but relieve my own pressure, but on the other hand I do know a phone-call or a letter to the offices of state and federal representatives can liven things up when enough have been applied. That’s how we’ve gotten into this mess. The wrong people are talking to their elected officials, and their listening! My vote is also powerful.

In one of his graduate classes, a professor made this comment: "Don't blame others for pushing your buttons. They are your buttons." In his article “They’re Your Buttons”, Neil Richey wrote: “If we're not careful we have a tendency to blame others for our thoughts and actions. ‘Well _________ just made me so angry that I couldn't control myself’, we might say. Or, ‘I just had to give him a piece of my mind. He had it coming after all.’ While the decision to become angry and to negatively react to someone who mistreats us (or in general just rubs us the wrong way) is solely ours, it could be the case that we have stressors in our life that contribute to making it easier for those buttons to be pushed. If you find yourself becoming easily agitated, then here are some things to consider. * Try not to set unrealistic expectations of yourself relative to your time. Self-imposed stress makes it easier for those buttons to be pushed. * Let yourself off the hook. It's okay to do something other than work--like have a hobby, play with the kids (dog), or work in the yard. Too much time in the office is likely to make it easier for those buttons to be pushed. * Get to know yourself. You know what makes you tick. You, better than anyone, know what allows your buttons to be pushed. * Be flexible. Life around you is always changing. Learn when and where it's okay to make adjustments. You don't always have to be so rigid with your schedule. A failure to adapt at times can make it easier for those buttons to be pushed.” Nothing I haven’t heard before, but do need reminding of.

[James 1:22-25] So, what does God’s Word have to say about this? Paul addressed the Ephesian elders, "Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers” (Acts 20:28) emphasizing that they must first regularly examine their own spirituality. Jesus had sent out the twelve to preach the coming of the kingdom and to perform miracles among the people. Upon their return they were exhausted and Jesus advised them ". . . Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest" (Mark 6:31).In his letter to the Philippian church, Paul writes, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7). Jesus said in his lesson taught on the mountainside, "...do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own" (Matthew 6:34). We all experience stress to some extent. Choose not to let stress make a mess out of you. Remember, they're your buttons and you’re the one who controls what happens when they get pushed.

No comments: