Sunday, February 27, 2005

Expecting An Answer

I was sitting back the other day feeling kind of full of myself thinking about how I’ve changed in the past couple of years. I used to fly off the handle at the least little thing that didn’t agree with my way of thinking. Well, I’ve worked at it hard and I feel I’ve made some advances, but I catch myself getting worked up over nothing still. I’ve been real good about expressing my feelings though. My demeanor has become much calmer even though my passion for perfection is still shining through. Not long after gloating and patting myself on the back I found myself sounding off like a teakettle left on the fire too long. Oh boy, the old me jumped up and turned me into a crazed idiot again. My inappropriate actions had an effect on others to which I had to apologize for after I stopped and prayed about my ridiculous behavior. I went and got the cart before the horse and ended up looking like a fool. I’m still learning that some things I just can’t change and they’re best left to the Lord. I need to pray first, and then take action.
As the drought continued for what seemed an eternity, a small community of mid-west farmers was in a quandary as what to do next. The rain was important not only to keep their crops healthy, but also to sustain the townspeople’s very way of living. As the problem became more urgent the local church felt it was time to get involved and called a prayer meeting to ask for rain. In what seemed a vague remembrance of the native-American ritual, people began to arrive. The preacher, on his arrival, watched as folks continued to file in, numbering more than he had seen in the building before. Everyone was taking the opportunity to visit across the aisles, socializing with close friends. He slowly made his way to the front with thoughts of quieting those present and starting the meeting. As he began to ask for quiet, his eyes scanned the crowd and he took note of an eleven-year-old girl sitting in the front row. Her face was beaming with excitement as she quietly sat in her place. Poised in front of her and ready for use was a red umbrella! The beauty and innocence of the girl made the preacher smile as he realized the faith she possessed. No one else had brought an umbrella. They had all come to pray for rain, but she had come expecting God to answer their prayers with the much-needed rain.
[Ephesians 4: 1-6] I’ve come to the conclusion that the guilt feelings we experience and have a tough time dealing with, is simply the calling to repentance we receive from God. Having the full knowledge of the will of God, Paul was inspired to write to those in Ephesus about the unity they must practice to maintain peace in the body of Christ. “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” Whoa! Now while that seems an impossible task remember when Jesus was asked, “Who then can be saved?” (Mark 10: 27) Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.” Why be baptized into the body of Christ, receive the gift of the Holy Spirit and not take full advantage of using the powers of God every chance I get to keep peace in my life? Prayer is powerful. The problem we have with prayer is we too often offer up solutions rather than asking for guidance and wisdom. I for one am happy for guilt feelings because they humble me and I have to go to my closet to ask for forgiveness and guidance. Expecting rain? Bring an umbrella. Expecting a reward? Love as God loves you and you will be eternally blessed.

No comments: