Saturday, June 11, 2005

Trust, Integrity & Honesty

Can you remember when “Trust” was a big word in advertising? “Trust Your Car To The Man Who Wears The Star”. Trust used to stand for the honesty and integrity, not only of a company, but also of its employees. When I was in business, I wouldn’t put an employee on a job by himself if I didn’t think he would do the job with the same consciousness I would. Too many people take too many shortcuts in order to get finished faster or make more money. Today, with tongue-in-cheek, “trust” seems to be used in advertising like throwing out some sort of bait to consumers to see who will bite, then reel them in and get all the money you possibly can out of their pocket. I’m sorry, but I guess my glass is half empty today and the old pessimist in me is popping out. I’m just finding it harder and harder to trust anyone in this world lately. I’ll get over it.
Sam Walton, together with his Chief Director of Personal, one day was personally interviewing several up-and-coming executives for various positions in his company. He took them all down to the company cafeteria at noon for lunch. He got in line behind a young man who had shown a lot of potential and was highly thought of. As they approached the end of the line, Walton noticed the young man slip a pat of butter under his tray. Since the cashier could not see the butter she didn’t charge him for it. Sam turned to his personal director and told him not to hire the young man. When he was asked why, Sam simply stated that any man who would palm a two-cent pat of butter under his tray would rob Wal-Mart clean.
[Titus 1: 15-16] A two-cent pat of butter doesn’t seem like that big a deal. I mean, companies like Wal-Mart lose that much, and more, every minute due to shoplifting. But, Walton’s point is very clear. If we do not have integrity in little things, we will not have integrity in the big things. Honesty really is the best policy. Paul is writing to Titus instructing him as to how he should go about looking for leaders for the congregations of God’s people. He explained to Titus he should not necessarily look for leaders by what others say, or how intelligent the prospect may be, but watch their actions as they deal with life and other people. Their actions will always dictate their godliness. After all, if we claim to be a child of God, aren’t we supposed to be holy because God is holy? Part of being holy is being a person of integrity, one who has a “clear conscience”. Ahhh, now there’s a subject that keeps a lot of people awake at night. I’m not perfect and I’ve taken shortcuts, but I never did feel good about it. To clear my conscience of guilt I can’t ever remember not correcting my misgivings as soon as possible. (1 Timothy 6: 6-19) Most people want to be rich or famous, or both, but they seem to forget that one day all this will come to an end. They hope their life has been good and they’ll be rewarded for it, but right now they’ve got a life to run and have no time for holiness. My hope is not supported by this world, as the world tries to persuade us. Paul reminds Timothy, and you and I, that we came into this world with nothing and we will leave this world in the same manor. My hope is to return to the One who gave me life and my hope is supported by His word. I’ve yet to see it fail, when I place a part of God’s truth in my life, I gain a greater understanding of this life and the life to come. I trust in God. He supports me in every way and brings peace into my life. Integrity and honesty, come from God’s truths.

No comments: