Saturday, September 17, 2005

Child Of A King

In the wake of hurricane KATRINA, I have to admit I’ve been doing a little soul searching and counting of my blessings. Growing up I know my parents struggled to make ends meet, but both were very resourceful and unselfish when it came to family. The biggest disaster I ever remember being a part of was a couple of winter snow blizzards that produced cabin fever and sore backs from shoveling sidewalks and driveways clear of eight foot snow drifts. But still we were not forced from our dry warm beds. My dad never threw away anything, and fixed everything by recycling everything else. It’s been a tough transition for me getting used to a throw away world and don’t know if I ever will. Now I think, how would I react if tomorrow I lost everything? I mean everything! The following paragraph is an e-mail I received two days before KATRINA and it sort of put the disaster in perspective for me as I sit here in my comfortable chair watching the news trying to comprehend the true scope of what people are going through and the time it’s going to take to recover from this disaster.
“It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy. All that re-fixing, reheating and renewing. I wanted just once to be wasteful. Waste means affluence. Throwing away things meant you knew there’d always be more. But then my husband died. And on that cold, clear morning, in the warmth of our bedroom, I was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn’t anymore. No more hugs, no more special moments to share together, no more phone calls just to chat, no more “just one minute”. Sometimes what we care about most just gets all used up and goes away, never to return so we can say good-bye, say “I love you and will miss you”. So while we have it, it’s best we love it and care for it, fix it when it’s broken and heal it when it’s sick. This is true for marriage, and old cars, and children with poor report cards, and dogs with bad hips, and aging parents and grandparents. We keep them because they’re worth it and because we’ll miss them. Some things make us happy no matter what and one of those things is a great friendship. Life is important and people in it we know who are special, we keep them close. I received this from someone who thought I was a “keeper” and I sent it to the people I think of in the same way. Thank-you for being a special part of my life.” I also want to thank my readers for being a special part of my life and for your comments and support over the years. I pray our relationship holds true for a long time to come.
[1 Thessalonians 5: 1-24] No matter how well you plan, protect and preserve, the future is very bleak for all of us walking about this planet. The impending disaster of life is death and everything you have in this world will be gone. But as you read the scripture noted, you’ll find there’s great news for those who have a friend in Jesus. If Jesus has been the closest and dearest friend to you in life, fear not, for He will be looking for you when death overshadows you. I’ve been told you can’t prepare for death, but I tell you, you’d better prepare because there looms the greatest of disasters for those who are not prepared, a disaster that will last eternally. I have a friend in Jesus, a relationship rooted in truth and love, faith and trust. I have been adopted by His father into the family of God through baptism. I actually look forward to leaving this world, because I’m going to live like the child of a King for eternity with my Father in heaven.

No comments: