Saturday, March 04, 2006

Try A Little Kindness

Cornfucius Say: “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a leaking tire.” I had already kicked off my shoes and climbed into some comfortable clothing, looking forward to relaxing for the evening, when a knock drummed on my door. Sounds like the beginning of a mystery novel, doesn’t it? Well anyway, it was a brother from church needing advise as what to do with a stranded motorist. He sort of really wanted my eyes and ideas as to solving the problem with this vehicle. Visions of a broken down clunker, needing yards of maintenance long before breaking down that night, flashed through my mind, instantly discouraging any thoughts of volunteering my services. Of course it didn’t take much conversing to get my shoes back on, because as you well know it’s hard for me to say, “No”. I was instantly rewarded to see a late model pick-up that has obviously been well maintained. I listened to the story about battery replacement and such, and with a few diagnostic checks I was almost certain of a blown fuse disabling the alternator. That’s exactly what the problem was and after a period of time charging the batteries, they were totally dead, we sent the couple on their way.
Try A Little Kindness by Glen Campbell. If you see your brother standing by the road, With a heavy load from the seeds he’s sowed. And if you see your sister falling by the way, Just stop and say you’re going the wrong way. You got to try a little kindness, Yes, show a little kindness, Just shine your light for everyone to see. And if you try a little kindness, then you’ll overlook the blindness, Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets. Don’t walk around the down and out, Lend a helping hand instead of doubt. And the kindness that you show every day, Will help someone along their way. You got to try a little kindness, Yes, show a little kindness, Just shine your light for everyone to see. And if you try a little kindness, then you’ll overlook the blindness, Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets.
[Luke 10: 25-37] I don’t think most of you need to be reminded of this story. And I don’t think most people would pass by their neighbor in need, without at least trying to do something for them. I don’t tell you my little story to boast or impress you, because I know you have a hundred acts of kindness to share also. But I do want to share the rest of the story with you. It all began with a simple waive, a smile and a “Hello”, to the brother who later knocked on my door, as he was taking his evening walk through the neighborhood. A short time later, as he continued his walk, he noticed the gentleman who greeted him at the side of the street with the hood up on his truck. Well, you pretty much know about fixing it, but you don’t know about God’s hand in all of this. This man and his wife in the broke-down truck are God fearing folks and had no doubt in their minds that God had sent my Christian brother their way and that he led them to me. I don’t know about you, but I get chills and feel totally honored to serve my great and gracious God when He sends people my way. I have to admit, the devil jumped right in, trying to discourage me with improper thoughts, but I’m glad I didn’t send my brother away empty handed. During the hour and a half we spent together my brother and he found out they knew several people and places in common. That was weird. But all in all, what I want to impress on you is this: God is alive and active in your life. Fear not!

No comments: