Saturday, October 21, 2006

White Noise

Well, it’s been five and half years since the first surgery on my vocal cords and just over five since the second. My ENT has me come in every six months for “a look see”, just to keep an eye on the situation. The inspections have been good until this last one which is not favorable. It seems the right cord is showing some thickening for some reason. So anyway, I have to take a test this week to determine why. I’ve just gotten used to having this scope run through my nose down my throat, but he says I’m really going to love having a camera stuffed in my mouth. I can’t wait! I already told him it’s from all the good singing I do that’s making that cord Hulk up. “Do the test” he says.
See if you can figure out the need before the end of the riddle. My tongue was doing gymnastics, trying to solve a desperate problem. It was difficult to concentrate, as this consuming problem plagued my soul. The beast refused to go away, it would not be ignored. Finally, I couldn’t take it another minute. I had tried everything, but did not have what it took to solve the problem …and chase away the beast. I had to drop everything in search of the most valuable tool in all the world for this case. While seeking out this tool, I couldn’t help but think, that giant trees father magnificent buildings, wonderful musical instruments, useful fence posts, pencils, furniture, boxes and hundreds of other useful things, but what I need most in this desperate moment, is its most valuable child, a small wooden sliver, called a toothpick. Ahhh, and when the deed was done, great joy filled my mouth. My soul was calmed and my tongue let out a great sigh of relief. One insignificant popcorn hull had altered my life, significantly.
[Revelation 3:20] Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. Frank, a college student, roomed with two, noisy upper-classmen, who made it hard to properly study. To solve the problem he bought a “white noise” machine. The static noise created by the device flooded out the other noises in the apartment allowing Frank to concentrate on his work. One night Frank prepared for an important exam and went to bed early. The next day Frank woke up too late for the exam. Although he had set his alarm, he couldn’t hear it, because the “white noise” blocked it out. Do you hear the Lord knocking? Don’t let the “white noise” of the world block out a chance for you to get closer to Jesus. The static noise of the world has a tendency to dull our ability to catch the call of the Spirit. Turn off the world for a little while each day. Pick up God’s Word for some serious concentrated study. Think about this. You don’t know when you’re going to be called for the final exam. “But Tom, I just don’t feel right approaching God with my miserable life. I need to get my life straight first.” I’ve heard that from a lot of people and I’ll tell you now what I tell them. Your sin and guilt is like that popcorn hull stuck between your teeth. It’s never going to go away until you apply the proper tool for the situation. (Romans 5:1-11) Believing that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died for our sins, and you become baptized for the remission of your sins through Christ Jesus, you will set the stage for a great relief in your soul, because what’s in the past will be forgiven and no longer held against you. But God demonstrates His love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Praise be to GOD!

No comments: