Sunday, April 08, 2007

For Escape, Look Up!

My wife has been after me to remove the wall to wall carpeting from throughout the house for some time now, wanting new hardwood floors laid down. Well, I’ve done my research, watched as many DIY programs as it takes to get the nerve up to commit to the project, and bought the materials to get started. No backing out now. Knowing mistakes are going to be made, I chose the first room, a small one, which has been planned to be a little office and junk room for my spouse. I figure most of that floor will get covered. So far I haven’t gotten into too much trouble, learning as I go, and after the trim is applied I already think it’s going to look great. In fact, I’m looking forward and planning more of the same in other rooms. My biggest mistake so far is getting my finger between an immoveable mass and a hammer moving with swift velocity. The end result is great pain commonly described under restraint with words better not said out loud, and a purple fingernail. Not learning my lesson quickly, I immediately did it again. Tylenol please.
Here’s something I received the other day that might be of interest, about buzzards, bats, bumblebees and people. If you put a buzzard in a pen that is 6´ x 8´, entirely open at the top, the bird, in spite of its ability to fly, will be your prisoner. The reason being that the buzzard begins flight from the ground by first running 10 – 12´. Without space to run, as is its habit, it will not even attempt to fly, but remain a prisoner for life in a jail with no top. The ordinary bat that flies around at night, a remarkably nimble creature in the air, cannot take off from a level place. If it is placed on the floor or flat ground all it can do is shuffle about helplessly and painfully until it reaches some slight elevation change from which it can throw itself into the air, then take off like a flash. A bumblebee, if dropped into a glass tumbler, will be there until it dies, unless it’s taken out. It never sees the means of escape at the top, but persists to find some way out through the sides near the bottom, where none exists, until it destroys itself.
[John 12] As we walk this earth struggling with our problems and frustrations, we seem to continually seek solutions through our own wisdom, and if no solution is immediately evident, many times, depression sets in, drug and alcohol abuse enters and anger begins to rule our life. Like the buzzard, we become our own prisoner. Like the bat, we just can’t seem to find a way back to happiness. Like the bumblebee, we look in all the wrong places for a way out. We must remove the faith we have in ourselves to solve our troubles and look up with faith to God, our only means of escape. Jesus was in his last days and upon entering Jerusalem he was triumphantly praised for his great works, “Hosanna! Hosanna!”, which in only days would turn to a murderous conspiracy, “Crucify Him!! Crucify Him!!” Jesus knew all this would happen. He knew he was about to suffer great pain and humiliation. He shared His love for his friends and their love comforted him. But His faith was in God and obedience to his Father in heaven. In distress and agony Jesus would look up to heaven in prayer, the night of His arrest, struggling with what He must do. Jesus looked for a way out, “Father if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me, not My will, but Your will be done.” God knew what was in His heart and sent angels to comfort Him. Sorrow looks back. Worry looks around. Faith looks up! I’m so glad Jesus looked up and has shown me the way of escape, from sin.

No comments: