Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Stone's Throw Away?

At the beginning of every public school year the creation/evolution debate catches fire. It becomes a hot potato that nobody really wants to handle for too long as pressure from both sides of the issue butt heads over what should be taught to our children. These curriculum decisions have been granted to each individual state by the Supreme Court and it’s an on-going battle year after year. Personally, I’ll begin to believe in evolution when children begin being born with a cell phone for one ear, a controls’-it-all remote built into one forearm, a GPS Navigator built into the other and a digital mouse integrated into the fingertips of one hand. Oh, I almost forgot. A USB port will be found in the other ear. It seems we can’t get along in life, not even one day, without these essential life sustaining items, so evolution should be kicking in within the next couple of generations according to the “theory” of me being a monkey’s uncle.
The math teacher noticed little Johnny wasn’t paying attention to her lesson on the addition of multiple numbers. She asked, “Johnny, what is 2 and 4 and 28 and 44?” Johnny immediately answered, “CBS, FOX, Cartoon Network and Discovery Channel.”
Two women met for the first time since graduating from high school. One asked the other, “You were always so organized in school. Did you manage to live a well planed life?” “Yes indeed”, said the other. “My first marriage was to a millionaire; my second marriage was to an actor; my third was to a preacher; and now I’m married to an undertaker.” The first asked, “So, what do failed marriages have to do with a well planned life?” “One for the money, two for the show, three to get ready and four to go”
Jean-Jacques Rousseau (1712-1778) lived with a great fear of being damned and going to hell. In his writing, “Confessions”, he relates how he came to calm his anxiety and found assurance of his eternal salvation. One day while walking and pondering this melancholy subject, Rousseau amused himself by throwing stones against the trunks of trees. While engaged in this exercise he said to himself: “I’ll throw this stone at the tree opposite; if I hit it, I’m saved; if I miss it, I am damned.” He then recounts, “While speaking, I threw my stone with a trembling hand and a terrible palpation of the heart, but with so successful an aim that it hit the tree right in the middle, which, to tell the truth was no very difficult feat, for I had been careful to choose a tree with a thick trunk close at hand. From that time I have never had any doubt about my salvation.” There’s a Greek word for that kind of thinking, the same word describes evolution, HOGWASH!
[1 Peter 1: 3-9] While that may have satisfied Rousseau, I’m confident that most of us desire something more. By inspiration, the apostle Paul presents salvation in three tenses: We are born anew to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead (v3); We are kept through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time (v5); And, as the outcome of our faith we obtain the salvation of our souls (v9).
[2 Peter 1: 3-9] God has granted us everything we need for life and godliness, but we must make every effort to add to our faith, goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control, and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. Salvation of the soul is not a stones throw away. God’s Word is proven truth, not theory.

No comments: