Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Bride of Christ

My wife, Paula, and I recently celebrated our twenty-third year together traveling through life. We’ve had our ups and downs the same as any marriage, but our devotion to one another and the lifestyle we have built has been a good bond for our love. I’m not a dominant, but I do worry when she’s a little more than a few minutes past an expected rendezvous time. We don’t always think the same or agree on everything, but being tolerant and compromising generally keeps peace under the roof of our humble home. We owe nothing to nobody, except that which we choose to spend, of which Paula has always been very frugal, the only reason I have anything today. I joke that I started with nothing and still have most of it, but have to admit, if it weren’t for my wife I’d probably be a worthless bum. It’s true, behind every good man, there’s an encouraging woman.
Comedian, Red Skelton, had some pretty good tips for a happy marriage. He used his own wedded bliss as an example. “Two times a week we’d go to a nice restaurant, have a soft drink, then some good food and companionship. She goes on Tuesdays and I’d go on Fridays. ...We also sleep in different beds. Hers is in Ontario and mine is in Tucson. ...I used to take my wife everywhere, but she always found he way back. I once asked my wife where she wanted to go for our anniversary. ‘Somewhere I haven’t been in a long time’, she said. So I suggested the kitchen. ...We still hold hands when we’re together. If I let go, she goes shopping. ...The last fight we had was all my fault. My wife asked, ‘What’s on the TV?’ I said, ‘Dust’. ...Actually, I haven’t talked to my wife in eighteen months. I don’t like to interrupt her. ...I have to admit, I married Miss Right. I just didn’t know her first name was Always. ...Remember this; marriage is the number one cause of divorce, and statistically, 100% of all divorces begin with marriage.”
Because of a shortage of maids in the area, a minister’s wife advertised for a manservant. The next morning the minister answered the door to find a neatly dressed young man standing before him. Already late for an appointment the minister fired off some questions, “Can you start breakfast by 7 a.m.?” “I guess so”, answered the man. “Can you polish all the silver, wash all the dishes, do the laundry, take care of the lawn, wash windows, iron clothes, and keep the house neat and tidy?” “Well”, said the young man, “I came here to ask if you would perform my upcoming wedding, but if marriage is going to be as much work as all that, you can count me out right now!”
[Ephesians 5: 22-33] Marriage is not to be taken lightly. “Two shall become one” means leaving a lot of ones former life behind. Thus, Paul lifting up the church as the bride of Christ is very fitting. Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her. Why can’t we understand the concept of giving up our lusts for the world when we become one with Christ through baptism and become a part of the church? (Romans 6: 3-8 & Galatians 3:27) Lifestyle changes must be implemented when entering into a physical marriage for it to become profitable and productive, and so it must also be, when giving yourself to the church, the world must be left behind. We have taken on the name of Christ, as in marriage – Christian. Christ is the head over one spiritual body (the church), as the man is the head of the house in a physical marriage, as designed by God. The church is expected to be productive. Are you bringing lost souls to God’s saving grace?

No comments: