Sunday, June 21, 2009

Lambs Follow Sheep

When it comes to fatherhood, I can’t do much boasting. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the best example to follow, but like him, I worked with what I had. I don’t feel to be a total failure as I see children that are wise and productive in the world, and one generation advanced to being better parents to their children. Parenting is one of those things one wishes they could do over, instead, parents have to admit their mistakes to their children and help them to not repeat those same mistakes. Some listen, some don’t, but still, grandchildren are the best. I don’t want to get off on a rant here getting you to feel sorry for me, so whether or not I did right or wrong, father’s, lets take an objective look at fatherhood.
You’re home is “bugged”! Eyes are watching what you do, and ears are listing to everything you say. No dad is perfect. Most of us are far from it. But, in doing our work as father’s, we can be helped if we will honestly answer practical questions like these: If my child treats his or her spouse the same as I treat mine, will they have a good marriage? If my son, someday, prioritizes his fathering responsibilities the same as I do, will my grandchildren have the father they need? If my son or daughter gives spiritual life habits the same attention I do, will his or her spirituality be vital to their family? If my daughter handles debt the same way I do, will her finances be well managed? If my son takes care of his fitness and health just like I do, will he have the energy to be a good dad? Remember: There are no perfect fathers. But, every one of us can be a progressing father ...and humble about our failures. Grandfathers, pass it on, for better fathers .
Not long after putting his son to bed, the father heard a voice coming from his room, “Dad? I need a drink of water.” Not moving from his chair the father replied, “No water after bedtime. Now go to sleep.” A short time latter, “Daaad? Can I please have a drink of water?” Calmly the father answered, “I said no and I mean it, now go to sleep.” Again the little one let his wishes known, “Daaaad? I want a drink of water.” The father went to the bedroom door and sternly spoke to his son, “I told you no. If you drink water now, you’ll have to get out of bed in a little while to go to the bathroom. Now go to sleep or you could end up with a spanking!” The father returned to his chair and his book. A good time had passed and the father felt confident that the spanking warning had settled the matter. Just then a familiar voice rang through the night air, “Daaaaaad? When you come in to spank me, could you pleeeeease bring me a drink of water?”
[Ephesians 6: 4] ‘Twas a sheep not a lamb that strayed away, in the parable that Jesus told, a grown up sheep that had gone astray, from the ninety and nine in the fold. Out on the hillside, out in the cold, ‘twas the sheep the Good Sheppard sought and back to the flock, safe into the fold ‘twas a sheep the Good Sheppard brought. And why for the sheep should we earnestly long, and as earnestly hope and pray? Because there is danger if they go wrong, they will lead the lambs astray. For the lambs will follow the sheep, you know, wherever the sheep may stray. When the sheep go wrong, it won’t be long, till the lambs are as wrong as they. And so with the sheep we earnestly plead, for the sake of the lambs today, if a sheep is lost, what a terrible cost some little lamb will have to pay. The Lamb of God paid a great price, because we don’t listen to our Father.

No comments: