Saturday, August 15, 2009

Who You Going To Believe?

I went to the doctor this past Friday for another vocal cord inspection. We had some concern three months ago about one of the cords not functioning as it had been. The doctor also thought he could detect a small spot on it, but felt more that I had strained or overused my voice. Well, he put me on restriction, asking me to not overuse my voice for the next ninety days, and then we would look again. The vocal cord movement is recorded via a camera on a stainless steel tube placed down the throat and preserved on a computer. After the technician completes the recording, then the doctor looks it over. The best thing I can hear from him is, “…amazing”. He is once again happy with what he saw and that makes me happy. My wife went with me this time; she’s always scared for me and doesn’t like to go normally. I told her she needs to hear from the doctor the reassurance he gives me about my future for herself. I’m glad she went this time and I think it helped her to understand I’m in good hands and the future looks bright.
The prognosis of the future is not always accurately predicted. The foresight of some intelligent men can be astoundingly lacking. In 1876, then President Rutherford Hayes said of the telephone: “That’s an amazing invention, but who would ever want to use one of them?” In 1946, Darryl F. Zanuck, head of Twentieth Century Fox, said of the television: “People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night.” In 1977, Ken Olsen, president of Digital Equipment Corp. said of computers: “There is no reason for an individual to have a computer in their home.” A leading British surgeon, Sir John Erichsen said in 1837: “The abdomen, the chest, and the brain, will be forever shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon.” And then, consider the prognostication from vacuum cleaner manufacturer, Alex Lewyt in 1955: “Nuclear powered vacuum cleaners will probably be a reality within ten years.” Throughout history man has said, “It can’t be done” only to have time and technology freight train express right past the impossible to produce the unbelievable. The laser scalpel has preserved the use of my voice while fighting the cancer they are afflicted with. Not too many years ago, this was unheard of. We live in a blessed time.
[Proverbs 3: 5-8] “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make you paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.” Much of our physical problems have been brought about through our own devise. We abuse our bodies to a point of self-destruction and in spite of the physician advising us to change our lifestyle to cure our ailment; we either ignore the advice or insist on another pill to cure the fool. We treat the spirit the same way. God says we can reach the lost with the Gospel, men say it can’t be done. God says the fields are white unto harvest, men say folks won’t listen. God says folks are basically good and will respond to the foolishness of the message preached. Men say that folks are too evil to care about spiritual matters. Who are you going to believe? Men who have often been proven foolish and wrong, or the all-wise, all-knowing God? “My word will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” (Isaiah 55:11) Foolish men don’t understand.

No comments: