Saturday, November 21, 2009

Coincidence / Providence?

I can’t count the times I’ve been asked if I have a fax machine in my office and I’ve always had to say no. That’s weird because I’ve always had a fax at home and offer it to anyone who wants to transmit some paperwork. Most people just said, “Oh, never mind. I don’t want to put you out” and it seems all the “It’s no trouble at all” pleas couldn’t change the mind of most people. I understand the comfort of the office verses a private home atmosphere. Well, I’m seriously thinking of dumping my solicitor infected telephone landlines, so considered donating my fax to the office, seeing the need. Just when I thought I was going to contribute to the cause in walks a complete stranger with an all-in-one copier/scanner/fax machine and asked if I could use it. You could have floored me with a feather, but of course, typically human, in the back of my mind I’m thinking, “Yeh, probably like the rest of the stuff donated around here, it’s most likely worn out or only half works”. Of course I accepted the machine with a smile and “thank-you”. First thing I find no owners manual or installation DVD. No problem I can get all that online. I plug it in and everything seems to work fine, but what about the fax? I was pleasantly surprised the machine works great and the answer to a prayer. The gentleman even returned several days later with the manual and the install DVD. I just never know what any given day might bring forth, some good, some disappointing, some surprising.
Did you hear about the elderly woman who went to the dentist to have her false teeth adjusted for the fifth time? “Well”, said the dentist “I’ll do it again this time, but no more. I see no reason these shouldn’t fit your mouth perfectly and comfortably.” “Who said anything about my mouth”? she answered. “They don’t fit in the glass!”
A group of expectant fathers were in a waiting room while their wives were in the process of delivering babies. A nurse came in and announced to one man that his wife had just given birth to twins. “That’s quit a coincidence,” he responded. “I play for the Minnesota Twins!” A few minutes later a nurse came in and announced to another man he was the father of triplets. “That’s amazing”, he exclaimed. “I work for the 3M Company!” About that time a young soon-to-be father fell faint against the wall. When asked if he was okay he answered, “I’m not sure; I work for the 7-UP Company.”
[Romans 5: 1-11] Most people live in a world of “coincidence”, that is things just seem to happen at the same time without any apparent connection to each other. It’s a coincidence when you meet someone you know while on vacation miles from home. It’s a coincidence when two people, not paying attention to their driving, meet in the middle of the same intersection. Two happenstances “coincide”, occupying the same space at the same time. Coincidental living is generally shrouded in mystery and wonderment. Through the wisdom and understanding of God’s Word, I, and most mature Christians, live a life of “providence”, foresight, prudence, with God’s care and protection. For me, “things” don’t just happen. My God, the God of the Bible, is alive and active in my life. I am exactly where He wants me to be and doing exactly what He wants me to be doing and I believe this trend will continue as long as I live according to His will. The fax machine was not a coincidence, but God active in my life. How many times does God have to show himself to you, before you start giving Him credit for the wonders of life?

No comments: