Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Power Of Prayer

The natural disaster, which occurred in Haiti, is being labeled as the worst in modern history, when it comes to the loss of life. Mass graves of up to 10,000 bodies are becoming commonplace as the estimated death toll is expected to exceed 100,000. As I watch reports on CNN in the evening, my heart and my prayers are for the survivors and their future. I also try to imagine going through thirty seconds of violent shaking of the earth and watching everything around me crumble to dust. What would I do and how would I feel as I gazed out at what was, and is no more? Every time I see destruction, death and suffering, natural or man induced, I thank my God for the blessings of my life.
The future is impossible to predict with absolute certainty. Will tomorrow come? Who knows? If tomorrow comes, will I be a part of it? Then again, will I want to be a part of it when I find out what the day brings forth for my life? Then, should I not plan for tomorrow? I am destined to survive as long as I can even knowing my final demise. I will, and should, plan for tomorrow, years in advance, expecting to be there when tomorrow arrives. In all of this, I must also plan for my departure from this life to the next. So, how does one keep from dwelling on the finality of life? I can tell you what changed my life. I quit being a slave to the world. When we do not trust or have faith in the Creator of life for happiness, but lean on our own thinking and the influences of the world for completeness, we’re hammering a square peg into a round hole every day. I know I’m an alien to this world, a sojourner for God, living His will, not mine. Yes, you’re right, not an easy thing to do. So how does one accomplish it? I can testify, God must be in your thoughts, in all you do and say. Satan and the world will do all it can to defeat your cause, but God gives us a back up, prayer. What a concept! Ask, according to His will, and it will be give to you. There is comfort and total satisfaction in answered prayer. Happiness is knowing that I’m protected and loved, and have a home in the future, where there is no more death and destruction, heartaches or tears, only love.
The Power of Prayer by Joseph Ferrara. “The power of prayer cannot be measured, ‘tis just a feeling to be treasured. Its power shows in many ways, as we offer God our heartfelt praise. A prayer is a feeling deep inside, a plea to God, our paths to guide. We pray that He be always there, for all His children, everywhere. The power of a prayer, though not in sight, is there through day and dark of night. It gives one strength, where there was none, to prove God’s work is never done. At times, Dear Lord, I would ask of thee, to grant to me one special plea. To free me from my dark despair, through the mighty power of a prayer. God caters to every race and creed, ready to help all those in need. He will give to all His blessings rare, through just the power of a prayer.”
[John 9: 1-5] Why did Haiti crumble to the ground? “…but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed…” The thought of how many lives that will be changed through this disaster is staggering. The thought of how many prayers around the world have been offered up to God because of this disaster is even more staggering. Why does it take a disaster for the world to rekindle relationships with God, begging Him for mercy? Look around you. Does God not know how to give good gifts? (Matthew 7: 7-12) We should be on our knees thanking God for today and for the day He has promised.

No comments: