Saturday, April 10, 2010

Spring Has Sprung

Well, Spring has certainly sprung. After the super dry conditions and the lack of cold weather last year, I think everyone has been looking forward to this year’s wild flower season and we haven’t been disappointed. It takes cold weather and moisture to sprout wildflowers and we had plenty of that this past winter. The fields are full of brilliant reds, whites and yellows and the always awaited, last to appear, Bluebonnet, which steals the show by upstaging the rest with its contrasting blue. It seems like over night the trees have put on their summer garb awaiting their chance to lent space for nesting birds and squirrels, shade some barbecue cooks and make a comfy cool spot for an old hound dog or two. The weeds in the yard haven’t totally given up yet, but the grass is coming on with the longer days and warmer nights. Of course, there’s always a down side to beautiful things. Warnings have been posted about the abundance of rattlesnake activity and the bugs are on their way. I discovered squirrels in the church building having found their way into the attic space. I heard them running and tumbling around like out of control first graders, performing their acts of nature, which means I’ve got to get them evicted before there’s a dozen more of them running around. I pray we don’t have to tear half the building down to remedy the situation. Nevertheless, it’s a beautiful time of year and I’m going to enjoy it, pollen reactions and all.
An elderly couple sat in their porch rockers watching a beautiful sunset and reminiscing about the good old days. Suddenly, she turned to him and asked, “Honey, do you remember when we first started dating and how you would just casually reach over and take my hand?” The man looked over at her, smiled and obligingly took her hand. With a wry little smile, she spoke again, “Honey, do you remember when after we were engaged, you’d sometimes lean over and surprise me with a kiss on the cheek?” The man slowly leaned over and gave her a soft kiss on her wrinkled cheek. Growing bolder still, she asked, “Honey, do you remember how, after we were married, you’d kind of nibble on my ear?” The man rose from his rocker and entered the house. Confused she asked, “Where you going?” He yelled out, “To get my teeth!”
[Romans 8] Has your life ever reached a plateau? I know it has, I don’t want to be alone here. I’ve been there several times and seem to be there at the moment. I return to this chapter of Romans to regain my bearing on life. It’s hard to not slip back into the old habits of worldly living when life becomes a little mundane. We feel we need something new and exciting to get our blood peculating again. I’m not about to confess some sort of juicy foolishness so settle down. My point is, life just seems to be on hold. Personally, I’m satisfied with the little vacation, so to speak. But, I’ve been here before, many years ago. Being young in the faith, I slipped away for several years. I never became comfortable in my relationship with God just by being good at life. Until I returned to live by the spirit and do life in my Lord’s name, did I become comfortable in life. Through this chapter I can look back to see where I came from, where I am and where I’m going with the confidence of knowing I’m on the right road. My study habits and prayer life are no longer sufficient for who I want to become, hence the plateau. I’m mature enough not to slip away ever again, but I also know I’m not what I ought to be spiritually. The meat of God’s Word is what I need. Where are my teeth?

No comments: