Saturday, May 08, 2010

The Wife Of Noble Charactor

Mother’s Day is a day set aside to honor the mother we all have. The celebration has ancient roots to Greece and Rome in forms of worshipping mothers and motherhood. Throughout history, some sort of observance celebrating motherhood has been passed down from generation to generation, mostly as a religious observance. Apart from religion, the “Mother’s Day Proclamation” by Julia Ward Howe, was one of the early calls to celebrate Mother’s Day in the United States. Written in 1870, it was a pacifist reaction to the carnage of the American Civil War and the Franco-Persian War. The Proclamation was tied to Howe’s feminist belief that women had a responsibility to shape their societies at the political level. More commonly known history in our observance of Mother’s Day originated in 1907 with the efforts of a devoted daughter, Anna M. Jarvis of Philadelphia, who conceived the idea of a nationwide celebration. Growing in popularity, in 1912, Anna Jarvis trademarked the phrases “second Sunday in May” and “Mother’s Day” creating the Mother’s Day International Association. On May 8, 1914, President Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation designating the second Sunday in May, Mother’s Day, and within a few years, the idea gained worldwide prominence. Thanks to Wikipedia and the Old Farmers Almanac, even I learned something. Telephones are ringing around the world, “Hi, Mom!”
A mother was dropping her son off at a friend’s house. She said to him, “Will you be good while mommy’s gone?” The boy replied, “If you give me a dollar I will.” The mother shook her head and said, “Why can’t you be good for nothing like your father!”
Johnny had been misbehaving and was sent to his room. After a while, he emerged and informed his mother he had thought it over and had said a prayer. “Fine,” said the pleased mother, “If you ask God to help you not misbehave He will.” “I didn’t ask Him to help me not misbehave,” said Johnny, “I asked Him to help you put up with me”
Somebody said a mother can do her job with her eyes closed and one hand tied behind her back …somebody never organized seven giggling Girl Scouts to sell cookies. Somebody said a mother can stop worrying after her child got married …somebody doesn’t know that marriage adds a new son or daughter-in-law to a mother’s heartstrings. Somebody said a mother’s job is done when her last child leaves home …somebody evidently never had any grandchildren. Somebody said your mother knows you love her, no need to tell her …somebody isn’t a mother.
[Proverbs 31: 10-31] Following the book of Psalms, which focuses on our devotional life, we find the book of Proverbs, which focuses on our practical life. The English word “proverb” means a brief saying in place of many words. It would in deed take many more words to honor mothers than are stated in Proverbs, but “The Wife of Noble Character” depicted here can certainly apply to any loving, caring mother. As I read, I can see my own mother going about in her daily routines seldom for self-gratification, rather for the comfort and welfare of her family. I don’t think she felt her work had ever been completed as she was always seeking to please others rather than herself. Peace and tranquility was her foremost goal, but I think she felt she would only find it in the arms of Jesus. “You’ll miss me when I’m gone,” she always threatened. I’m glad she lived a full life. I do miss her, but I know I’ll see her again, with Jesus.

No comments: