Saturday, June 12, 2010

Involved or Committed?

I’ve owned several vehicles in my life and can honestly say only one was a bad buy. Personally, I think the man I bought that vehicle from owned two identical cars, because the one I ended up with just didn’t feel like the one I test drove; just a bad deal all around. I’ve only had one showroom new car in my life. I was 19 years old, owned it only three months, until Uncle Sam relocated me with a lower paying job. Well, as you know, I replaced my van a few weeks back with one I considered a great buy. I took a little trip out of town the other day and about half way there I noticed a noise that didn’t make me real comfortable. It was one of those noises a transmission starts making just before it blows up. I’ll tell you, I was on pins and needles the rest of the trip, the noise getting more pronounced all the while. All I could think of was how much money this was going to cost me and especially if I break down far from home. With prayer and the grace of God, I made it home and discovered the noise was a worn out axle bearing. Very common on front wheel drive vehicles, which I replaced myself in less than two hours. What a relief. I thought I was going to have to beat myself up. Having doubts and fears about my decision of commitment in this vehicle every time a new rattle or roar rears its sound will eventually fade and I will hopefully come to the conclusion I made a good purchase. Time will only tell how happy I’ll be.
It is said, “Our journey across the seas of life becomes more pleasant when we scrape off the barnacles of doubt, worry and pessimism.” Thought provoking, isn’t it?
Hand written on a Father’s Day card by a teenage son: “Dad, everything I know I learned from you, except for one thing, the family car can do 110 mph!” It’s good to know our children are totally involved in our life, even though they may not be totally committed to our ideals in their lack of wisdom.
“Mama”, the little girl asked her mother, “what becomes of an automobile when it gets too old to run anymore?” “Well”, replied the mother, “somebody polishes it up and sells it as a, “good as new”, used car, to your father.”
[Revelation 2:11] “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death.” The preacher started his lesson with a stern reminder, “Everybody in this church is going to die!” He noticed one young man sporting a big wide grin throughout the serious message. While shaking out the members, the preacher asked the young man, “Why are you so amused?” He replied, “This is not my church, I’m just visiting my sister for the weekend.” I sense this lack of commitment in many “church-goers”. You can’t be talking to me, I don’t belong to this or that congregation. Honestly ask yourself, “Am I committed to God and his church, or am I simply involved as a social entity of a congregation?” Look at it this way. The difference between “involvement” and “commitment” is like a ham and eggs breakfast. The chicken is “involved”, but the pig is “committed”. A preacher on the radio the other day said, “There are two types of members in the church today. The pillars, who hold up the church and the caterpillars, who just crawl in and out of the church.” In the seven letters to the churches in Asia, God said, “I know you are suffering …don’t give up …overcome.” Where do you “give your all”? Commitment: to the world, death, x2; to the church, life, everlasting.

No comments: