Sunday, July 04, 2010

Liberty

“Happy Birthday America”! Well, it’s official. The United States of America is now engaged in the longest war in it’s history. I’m sort of confused as to the country or the conquest that has given U.S. that great honor, but I assume all our military activity is being lumped under one banner, “The War on Terror”. Then again, it hasn’t been a real healthy practice lately to assume anything, expecting the truth to reveal itself or be witness to a positive conclusion of action at a later date. I’ve served my time and I’m happy I can stand in the shadow of our flag, still free to pursue my dreams of life.
I am the flag of the United States of America. My name is “Old Glory”. I fly atop the world’s tallest buildings. I stand watch in America’s halls of justice. I fly majestically over institutes of learning. I stand guard with power in the world. Look up to see me. I stand for peace, honor, truth and justice. I stand for freedom. I am confident. I am arrogant. I am proud. When I am flown with fellow banners, my head is a little higher, my colors a little truer. I bow to no one! I am recognized all over the world. I am worshipped; I am saluted; I am loved; I am revered; I am respected; and I am feared. I have fought in every battle of every war for more than 200 years. I was flown at Valley Forge, Gettysburg, Shiloh and Appomattox. I was there at San Juan Hill and in the trenches of France. People of the Argonne Forest, Anzio, Rome, Normandy, Guam, Okinawa, Korea and Vietnam all know me. I was there. I led the troops. I was dirty, battle-worn and tired, but the soldiers cheered me on and I was proud to serve. I have been burned, torn and trampled on in the streets I have helped set free. It never hurt, for I am invincible. I have been soiled upon, burned, torn and trampled on in the streets of my own country by those whom I have served in battle and that hurts, but I shall overcome for I am strong. I have slipped the bonds of Earth and flown proudly over the uncharted frontiers of space. From my vantage point on the moon I have borne silent witness to all of America’s finest hours, but my finest hour is yet to come. When I am torn into strips and used as bandages for my wounded comrades on the battlefield, when I am flown at half-mast to honor a fallen soldier, or when I lie in the trembling arms of a grieving parent at the grave of their child, then am I most proud. My name is “Old Glory”, long may I wave. Dear God in heaven, long may I wave!
[Leviticus 25:8-54; Isaiah 61; Luke 4: 16-21] The Liberty Bell is one of the great symbols of freedom for our country. It was cast in London, England in 1752 and rang when the Continental Congress signed the Declaration of Independence. Do you know what is inscribed on the bell? Leviticus 25:10; “Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof.” Liberty! What a blessing for the downtrodden! Jubilee was every fifty years when each family received its property back, debts were forgiven and slaves were set free. God reminded the people it all belongs to him and he wanted it renewed. Jubilee, was the foreshadow of the blessings which Christ would bring. Isaiah predicted it (Isaiah 61) and Jesus confirmed it (Luke 4: 16-21). No matter what is going on in the world, we need to rejoice in the Lord. Christ came to set us free! We can now be released from the bondage of our sins, and enjoy the glorious liberty of being a child of God. As we stand in the shadow of the cross, rejoice knowing the debt for sin has been paid. The battle is over! Raise up God’s Word. Ring out the news!

No comments: