Saturday, March 26, 2011

Our Foolish Ways

I’ve found that there are all kinds of different workers in this world. There’s the perfectionist, me. If a job isn’t worth doing right the first time, just leave it be. Of course the perfectionist is hard to work with, but there’s a greater satisfaction in a job well done. Then there’s the person who thinks they know what their doing, but have no clue. Yeh, they have some knowledge of the area in which they are working, but leave them alone to do a specific task and generally you’ll wish you hadn’t. The worker that always did the most griping and complaining was the one who is constantly inventing ways to get out of work, all the while complaining of not enough pay. Of course there was always a gossiper, or story-teller, in among the workforce, who always had a new piece of information to share about someone else. One learns to be very careful what parts of your life you share with this sort of comrade. But, the worker I totally detest is the prankster. This is the guy who always showed up to bump your arm, or pinches the back of your leg, or sneaks up to make a loud noise at the most inopportune times. I’ve been locked in airplanes, had a dead snake tossed at me while I was literally standing on my head working under the dashboard of a car, (not a good scene), and many other pranks inflicted, resulting in personal injury or job interruption, much to my chagrin and their laughter. Pranksters have no regard for safety, thus I have no use for them.
In Florida, an atheist created a case against the upcoming Easter and Passover Holy days. He hired an attorney to bring a discrimination case against Christians and Jews and observances of their holy days. The argument was that it was unfair that the atheist had no such recognized days, looking to abolish all religious noted days and holidays in the country. The case was brought to the courts being passed on until it reached the state supreme court. After listening to the passionate presentation by the complainant’s lawyer, the judge banged his gavel declaring, “Case dismissed!” The lawyer immediately stood objecting to the ruling, saying, “Your honor, how could you possibly dismiss this case? The Christians have Christmas, Easter and others. The Jews have Passover, Yom Kippur and Hanukkah, yet my client and all other atheists have no such holidays…” The judge leaned forward in his chair and interrupted, “Oh, but they do! Your client, counsel, is woefully ignorant.” The lawyer replied, “Your honor, we are unaware of any special observance or holiday for atheists…” Again the judge interrupted, “The calendar says that April 1st is April Fools Day. Psalm 14:1 states, ‘The fool says in his heart, there is no God’. Thus it is the opinion of this court that, if your client says there is no God, then he is a fool. Therefore, April 1st of each year is his day. Court is adjourned!” You gotta love a judge who knows his scripture.
[Psalm 14; Psalm 53; Romans 3] “The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God’. They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.” Psalm 14 and 53 are nearly twins. Whenever I think as a perfectionist that I can do it all on my own, I am a fool. When I think I know it all, I am a fool. When I complain about life and how it should be better, I am a fool. Whenever I tear up or run down another’s work in the Lord, I am a fool. Whenever I totally disregard God’s law, I am a fool. I’m not perfect, but when I push God aside, I am a fool. We all sin and fall short of the glory of God, but through Jesus we have forgiveness of sins, and we can set aside our foolish ways.

No comments: