Saturday, April 09, 2011

An Important Reminder

I don’t think I could be called forgetful, but because I wear so many different hats and have to keep track of a lot of stuff, I rely heavily on my electronic gear to alert me of things I need to get done. The first of every month are things like meetings, HVAC filters (lots of those to check), first of month bills to be paid, bank account reconciliations to perform, just lots of little things to do and if not done on time they can become a log jam of paperwork. Well anyway, I had to laugh the other day when the reminder, ”Windshield Wipers” popped up. It’s a note from way back to check the wipers every month. My past vehicles parked the wipers on the glass exposed to the summer sun and heat, making them melt to the glass when not used over a period of time. The vehicle I now drive parks the wipers sort of out of sight, but giving them a look see is still a good thing to do. Why? Because it hasn’t rained for eight months!! I’ve changed more wiper blades because of inactivity than from wearing them out with use. Where I grew up, wipers were literally worn out from rain, snow and ice removal from the windshield. Not in South Texas! One can install new wiper blades and use them once. The next time the wipers get turned on they’ll leave streaks on the glass because the blades are already deteriorated from heat and dirt. I used to carry a new pair of blades with me because I’ve turned the wipers on only to watch the blades stick to the window as the wiper arm rips lose from the rubber. Awk! I just put those silly things on! It may seem silly, but the lack of rain is definitely getting serious. Locally, we are more than ten inches of rain behind and we’re heading into the hot dry summer season. Prayer is in order, even for those who don’t regularly call on God for help.
A man was sitting on a hard, bumpy, elevated piece of rock, fishing. His wife, watching from a distance for a while, commented to her adult daughter, “Is that the same man who complains every Sunday how uncomfortable the pews are?”
The preacher was speaking on the relationship between “fact” and “faith”. “That you are sitting in front of me here in this building is a fact,” he said. “That I am speaking to you from this pulpit is a fact”, he continued. “But”, he concluded, “it is only faith that makes me believe that any of you are truly listening.”
[1 Thessalonians 5: 2-3] April 15, 1906, was Easter Sunday for that year. By all accounts, church buildings were full. None of the citizens of San Francisco, including the preachers, had any idea that the following Wednesday, April 18th, would bring death and destruction to many of them in the form of the “Great Quake”. It’s a shame that most people honor the host of life with their attendance in worship only once or twice a year. Those same people are surprised to find that when “rainy days” come and they “turn on” their relationship with God, all they end up with is streaks and smears on their windows of faith. I find my relationship with God has to be examined daily and there are things in my life that have to be changed regularly to keep the way clear as I travel through life. I have absolutely no idea when the last day of life will be for me or anyone around me. But I am prepared, because I walk in the truth of the Gospel and my faith in the resurrection unto everlasting life is crystal clear. Are you neglecting regular maintenance on your spirit? Don’t get caught with your prayers stuck to your tongue (James 4:1-6). You have to know God, for God to answer you (James 4:8-10).

No comments: