Saturday, August 13, 2011

New Season - New Schedule

What’s happened to the dream? You know, the one that all American’s used to have; the one full of adventure and hope. The dream of who you could be, what you could become and how you were going to get there, just doesn’t seem to spark a fire under anyone anymore. This country is not in a recession, it’s in a deep dark depression and I don’t mean monetarily wise. I hear people saying how bad we have it in this country and seem to forget just how good we have it compared to the rest of the world. We’re spoiled brats waiting on someone to clean up our mess and powder our behinds so we can be comfortable playing in the sandbox until we need something else we’re too lazy to go get for ourselves. So, we kick and scream until somebody comes to service us. That’s not how this country was built, but I guarantee you one thing, that’s how this country is going to fall. And that’s all I’ve to say about that, for now.
Well, it’s football season again, which means it’s time to refresh your mind as to the terms of Church Football. Quarterback Sneak: Church members quietly leave during the invitation song. Halftime: The period between Bible Class and Worship when many choose to leave and others are just arriving. Backfield In Motion: Making a trip to the back during worship service. Staying In The Pocket: What happens to a lot of the money that could be given towards the Lord’s work. Two Minute Warning: The point when you realize the sermon is almost over and you begin to gather up your children and belongings. Sudden Death: What happens to the attention span of the congregation when the preacher goes “overtime”. Trap: You’re called on to lead a prayer and you’re asleep. End Run: Getting out of the building quickly. Flex Defense: The ability to allow nothing said during the sermon to affect your life in any way. Blitz: The rush to the restaurants following the closing prayer. Halfback Option: The decision of 50% of the congregation to not come back for the evening worship.
Do you need a new schedule to help you through the week, a sort of anti-depressant self-improvement, lifter-upper? Here we go: Monday-Wash Day: Lord, help me wash away all my selfishness and vanity so I may serve you with perfect humility through the week ahead. Tuesday-Ironing Day: Dear Lord, help me iron out all the wrinkles of prejudice I have collected through the years so that I may see the beauty in others. Wednesday-Mending Day: Oh God, help me mend my ways so I will not set a bad example for others. Thursday-Cleaning Day: Lord Jesus, help me dust out all the many faults I have been hiding in the secret corners of my heart. Friday-Shopping Day: Oh God, give me the grace to shop wisely so I may purchase eternal happiness for myself and all others who need love. Saturday-Cooking Day: Help me, my Savior, to brew a big kettle of brotherly love and serve it with clean sweet bread of human kindness. Sunday-The Lord’s Day: Oh God, I have prepared my house for you. Please come into my heart so I may spend the day and the rest of my life with you. Have a great week, and by the way, Sunday is the beginning of the week not the end.
[Joshua 22] An alter was built that almost caused a war. Others misunderstood the reason for building the alter. The alter was called Witness, “For”, they (builders) said, “it is a witness between us that the Lord is God.” Being a witness for God can stir ill feelings against you by some, but Godly virtues witness to a saved soul; your own.

No comments: