Saturday, December 17, 2011

My Only Sonshine

A man is at the dentist’s office for a routine appointment and voices a complaint to the dentist about a terrible taste coming from his plate. The dentist says to the patient, “I notice your plate is severely corroded causing the foul taste. Have you had a change in your diet recently?” The man replies, “Why yes. About six months ago my wife introduced me to eggs Benedict. I fell in love with the hollandaise sauce and now I put it on everything.” “That’s it!” exclaimed the dentist. “The hollandaise sauce contains lemon juice which is very acidic. That explains the corrosion of your plate. I can replace your plate, but I’ll have to make it out of chrome.” “Why chrome?” asked the patient. With an inquisitive look the dentist said, “Why, I thought everyone knew; There’s no plate like chrome for the hollandaise.”
Like any good mother, when Karen found out another baby was on the way, she did what she could to help her three-year-old son, Michael, preparer for a new sibling. The baby was going to be a girl and Michael loved to sing to his sister in his mommy’s tummy. He was building a bond of love with his little sister before he even met her. The pregnancy progressed normally for Karen. In time the labor pains came, but serious complications arose during delivery and Karen found herself in labor for hours. After a long struggle Michael’s little sister was born, but she was in very serious condition. She was rushed to the neonatal intensive care unit at St. Mary’s Hospital in Knoxville, Tennessee. The days inched by and the baby’s condition worsened. The doctors held very little hope and the parents were told to prepare for the worst. Michael, however, kept begging his parents to let him see his sister. “I want to sing to her”, he kept saying. Children weren’t allowed in the intensive care unit, but Karen decided to take Michael whether the staff liked it or not. A confrontation with the head nurse ended with Karen, “He’s not leaving until he sings to his sister!” Then Karen towed Michael to his sister’s bedside. He gazed at the tiny infant losing the battle to live. In the pure-hearted voice of a three-year-old, Michael began to sing, “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are gray”. Instantly the baby responded! Pulse rate and breathing calmed and became steady. “Keep singing”, encouraged Karen with tears in her eyes. “You never know, dear, how much I love you, please don’t take my sunshine away.” Michael continued, “The other night, dear, as I lay sleeping, I dreamed I held you in my arms.” The bossy head nurse, with tears rolling over her cheeks, was amazed at the immediate improvement of the infant’s vitals. Karen glowed as Michael finished his song, “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, please don’t take my sunshine away.” Michael’s little sister relaxed and healing rest seemed to sweep over her. The very next day, the little girl went home.
[John 3: 16-21] The celebration of the birth of the Christ child produces more opposition every year. The Christ in Christmas is fading and the baby is in serious condition. Fewer children of each generation are being given the opportunity to sing a love song to Jesus, making it possible to bring Him home to live as a sibling. Parents are not preparing children for life, with the truth and support of God’s Word, which they can use throughout their life. Our baby’s are dying from lack of truthful love and Jesus is dying from human ignorance. “Please, don’t take my only Sonshine away.”

No comments: