Saturday, February 11, 2012

Another Year, Already

“Click” “Wha …what was that?” Uh oh, the hands of time just moved ever so slightly and there went another year whizzing by. I have to agree that another birthday still beats the alternative though. With age the holidays throughout the years seem to pop up with more frequent regularity almost making one think someone has shortened the calendar year. I think the toughest feelings to overcome at birthday time is when the mind drifts back over the years rehearsing all the “what if’s” and the “if only’s” that experience and wisdom could go back and correct. But alas, we can’t go back, only press forward and pray to leave a legacy behind that will help insure that the young people following us might have better sense, make fewer mistakes and live with fewer regrets. Enough with the nostalgic notions, “Brighten The Corner Where You Are”, because that’s where it’s happening right now and the right now is what matters.
Two elderly gentlemen were enjoying a friendly conversation when one asked the other, “Fred, how was the memory clinic you attended last month?” “Outstanding”, Fred replied. “They taught us all the latest psychological techniques: visualization, association, focus and repeat. It was great!” The other man asked, “And what was the name of that clinic?” Fred went blank. He thought and thought but he couldn’t remember. Then a smile broke across his face and he asked, “What do you call that flower with the long stem and thorns?” - “You mean a rose?” - “Yes, that’s it.” Fred turned to his wife and said, “Rose, what was the name of that memory clinic?”
A woman went to the emergency room where she was seen by a young new doctor. After about three minutes in the examination room, the doctor told her she was pregnant. She burst out of the room and ran down the corridor screaming. An older doctor stopped her and asked her what the problem was. After listening to her story he calmed her down and sat her in another room. Then the older doctor marched down the hallway to confront the younger doctor. “What is wrong with you?” he demanded. “This woman is 68 years old, has two grown children and several grand-children, and you told her she is pregnant?!” The new doctor continued to calmly write his report on his clipboard, and without looking up asked, “Does she still have the hiccups?”
The top ten signs you’re getting older: 1. You and your teeth don’t sleep together any longer; 2. You try to straighten out the wrinkles in your socks and discover you aren’t wearing any; 3. At the breakfast table you hear snap, crackle, pop and you’re not eating cereal; 4 You wonder how you could be over the hill when you can’t remember reaching the top yet; 5. When you’re on vacation and your energy runs out before the money; 6.The local pharmacist becomes your best friend; And, I can’t remember 7-10.
[Proverbs 16] I can’t say I’ve always been happy with what I’ve done with my life, but I can say I’m totally satisfied with what God has done with my life. It is said that you’ll never get out of this world alive and through my studies of God’s Word I’ve learned the Greek word for that thought is “hogwash”. I’m leaving this world more alive than when I entered it. This body that’s growing older is only temporary living quarters for my true spiritual self. “This world is not my home, I’m just a passin’ through; My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue; The angels beckon me from heaven’s open door; And I can’t feel at home in this world anymore.” Praise God

No comments: