Saturday, September 08, 2012

God Is Still On the Throne

      Well, the national political party conventions are over and done with, the new school year has started, football frenzy has begun and it’s time to start the search for your long sleeve shirts and blouses in anticipation of the first cool-front of the upcoming fall season. The temperature is predicted to plunge into the sixties in the early morning hours this coming week, which seems silly to say, except for the fact that we’re used to starting the day near eighty degrees and finishing the afternoon hours at and above the century mark every day. The daylight hours are already noticeably waning and it won’t be long we can say good-bye to the hot weather and high electric bills for a while.


      One day a florist went to a barber for a haircut. After the cut, the florist asked how much he owed the barber. The barber replied, “I cannot accept money from you, I’m doing community service this week.” The florist was pleased and left the shop. When the barber went to open his shop the next morning he found a thank-you card and a dozen roses waiting for him at his door. That day a policeman came in for a haircut and when he tries to pay his bill, the barber said, “I cannot accept money from you, I’m doing community service this week.” The policeman was very happy and went about his business. The next morning when the barber went to open up, there waiting on his doorstep was a thank-you note and a box of donuts. That day a Congressman came in for a haircut. When he tried to pay his bill the barber once again stated, “I cannot accept your money. I’m doing community service this week.” The Congressman was very happy and left the shop. The next morning, when the barber went to open up, there was a dozen Congressmen lined up at his door waiting for their free haircut.

      [1 Peter 2: 13-17] As I continue to “…seek first his kingdom and his righteousness” (Matthew 6:33) I am resigned to accept God as the ultimate ruler over all things. Many rule over us in government and employment alike, yet even Jesus laid this on Pilate, “…You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above” (John 19:11). This, however, does not relieve me from my duties as a citizen of heaven and an alien citizen of the country I live in. The laws of both heaven and earth govern my daily living, that I may live worthy of the benefits bestowed upon me in my citizenships. I’m not a worthy politician, because everything to me is either black & white or true brilliant color. Sticking to my true colors, I’ll hold up those running for the offices of government in this country, to the precepts of God and his will for mankind, then vote my conscience. God is still sitting on the thrown and he alone is governing the future of this country and the world in accordance to the degree of obedience mankind displays toward his authority. The history of the world, be it secular of Biblical, has shown that when man attempts to wrestle the helm away from God, to govern himself and establish self-righteous living, God appoints rulers and authorities to squelch the mutiny. The greatest powers, the biggest kingdoms, the mightiest military forces have all been miraculously brought to their knees by unsuspecting forces. I expect to remain a remnant of God’s people who established this country and that my ways of living will continue to parallel that of God’s Word, the Bible, and not of man’s. I’m not rebelling against the government. It’s still the greatest in the world. Just a little reminder – You can ignore God, but you can’t dethrone HIM.



No comments: