Saturday, December 07, 2013

Just At The Right Time

Tuesday, September 11, 2001 nearly 3000 people died when the World Trade Center came under attack and was ultimately destroyed. In the midst of this tragedy are many stories of survival and other stories of just plain dumb luck, because some people took the day off or were late for work. The head of a company survived 9/11 because his child started kindergarten that day. Another fellow lived because it was his turn to bring the donuts. One woman claims she was late because her alarm clock failed to wake her. One person was late, stuck in traffic on the New Jersey Turnpike, due to an auto accident. One missed his bus, another couldn’t get her car started and another couldn’t find a taxi for some reason. One man tells the story of the new shoes he wore that morning. His normal three modes of transportation, one of which is walking some distance, developed a blister on one foot. He stopped at a drugstore to buy a Band-Aid.

Do you believe in providence? Webster says providence is foresight; prudence; God’s care and protection. I hold a strong belief that I am where I am, doing what I am doing, providentially, under God’s guidance and direction. I believe God is active in my life every day and that I should take the opportunity to seek His favor in everything I do. As I’ve grown older I’ve learned to recognize the opportunities of service God is placing before me. Often, at just the right time, I’m there to do His will.

I’ve been without “man’s best friend” for several years. After the loss of my thirteen year companion, any time the subject of a replacement arose, my wife would say “No”; but the opportunity to melt her heart had not presented itself, until a few months ago. As we were dealing with one of life’s bumps in the road, at just the right time, “Bella” entered our life. She’s now a three and one half month old, two and one half pound, white Chihuahua, with the ability to flat wear out a sixty-three year old man. She and my wife get along great, as both hate the cold weather and love being waited on. My wife was not looking forward to the day I would eventually bring a dog home and at the same time I swore I would never start with a puppy. Just when I needed something to divert my mind from a troubling time, God deemed it time to surprise us with a baby to care for. We got everything we didn’t want, and love her to death. Spoiled brat!

[Galatians 3:26-4:7 & Romans 5:1-11] “…But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons.” And, “…at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly.” The Law was a good thing; a stable platform of righteousness for those who wanted to please God. But, it condemned even the righteous and condemned everyone as slaves of sin. “…But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Jesus lived the sinless life, righteous and pleasing to God in every way. He has shown us the way to achieve eternal life in the presence of God. He shed his blood, was sacrificed to God, for you and me, for the forgiveness of our sins. It is through our belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God and our baptism into his death, burial and resurrection that we have been saved from our sins (Romans 6:1-14). I have been freed from the slavery of sin, now reconciled with God, to live in his love and grace for ever and ever. Years ago, at just the right time, Jesus entered my life. Jesus was not what I was looking for, but I’m so glad I’ve got him.

No comments: