Saturday, January 11, 2014

God, Dog, Cat & Me


Adam and Eve said to God, “Lord, when we were in the garden you walked with us every day. Now we don’t get to see you anymore. We are lonesome here and it is difficult for us to remember how much you love us.” God said to them, “I will create a companion for you that will be with you and will be a reflection of my love for you, so that you will love me even though you cannot see me. Regardless of how selfish, or childish, or unlovable you may be, this new companion will accept you as you are and will love you as I do, in spite of yourselves.” God created a new animal for Adam and Eve. It was a good animal, and God was pleased. The new animal was pleased to be with Adam and Eve, and he wagged his tail. Adam said, “Lord, I have named all the animals you have made, but I cannot think of a name for this one.” God said, “I created this animal to be a reflection of my love for you. His name will be a reflection of my name. You will call him Dog.” Dog lived with Adam and Eve and was a companion to them and loved them. They were comforted; God was pleased; Dog was content and wagged his tail. After a while an angel came to the Lord and said, “Lord, Adam and Eve have become filled with pride. They strut and preen like peacocks and believe they are worthy of adoration. Dog has indeed taught them that they are loved, but perhaps too well.” And God said, “I will create for them a companion who will be with them and who will see them as they are. This companion will remind them of their limitations so that they will know they are not always worthy of adoration.” So, God created Cat, and Cat would not obey Adam and Eve. When they gazed into Cat’s eyes they were reminded that they were not the supreme beings they thought they could be. Adam and Eve learned humility, and they were greatly improved. God was pleased; Dog was happy and wagged his tail; Cat didn’t care one way or the other.

My wife and I have adopted a, now three pound, Chihuahua named Bella, who has reminded us what it is like to have a dependent that is dependent on you for everything. It’s like bringing a baby into the house, and if one is not careful, is easily spoiled to the point that the dog rules the house, and its occupants. At four and one half months old, she is a new challenge and hopefully an enduring adventure of great companionship.

[James 4:13-17] Over the years I have experienced several major changes in life and lifestyle. Some have been fulfillment of dreams and aspirations, while others have been failure of the same. I’ve tried my best to hammer square pegs into round holes because it seemed the right thing to do. When that didn’t work I spent wasted time whittling at the square peg to make it fit the round hole only to discover in the end it wasn’t a very good fit at all. There have been times when I had no choice but to change; i.e. the U.S. Draft Board, illnesses and such. During those times attitude and direction can really alter one’s life; without God. As the song line goes, I’ve wondered as I wandered through life, but then I brought God into my life. I don’t know what it was like to walk and talk with God in the garden, but I do know what it is like to walk with God in faith and to talk with God in prayer. I strongly believe little Bella is a gift from God to help bring me back to a more loving servant attitude. Maybe some of us older folks lose our perspective on how much God really loves us when we get set in our ways. Thank you, Lord, for the changes in life and may I always remember to walk with you in love.

No comments: