Saturday, June 03, 2017

Harsh Winds - They Do Blow


Well, I hope you got some rain over the past week. I know across the country some folks wish the rain and bad weather would just go away and I don’t blame them for that. But here in South Texas we watch the weather radar closely when storms are developing because, like Forest Gump’s mama says, “It’s like a box of chocolates...” we never know what we’re going to get. Wind, hail, tornadoes, heavy rain and most often as not – nothing at all, can be on the menu of a storm headed toward my humble abode. Last week one day a storm was headed right for my house. I got my bag of bug killer out, filled the spreader and ran over the lawn right quick expecting the rain to come along and water it in. ‘Bout the time I finished, the sky was darkening and thunder was rollin’ and the wind was beginning to blow – but nothing happened! I checked the radar again and the storm took a slight drift to the east and missed me! People less than a mile away got nearly an inch of rain. I didn’t have to wait very long for another rainstorm to come my way. A couple of days later it rained so hard, two afternoons in a row, it probably washed all my lawn medicine down the street. Oh well, one thing we don’t do around here is complain about the rain because we’ve seen it stop for several years in a row and that’s not good for anybody. My poor little Bella simply hates the wind and the thunder. She’ll get the Chihuahua shakes and then start breathing hard. Her little tongue will be hanging out of her mouth and she’s huntin’ a place to hide. I generally have to hold her to calm her down because my wife thinks she’s going to have a heart attack. When the storm passes she gets all excited and wanting me to go outside with her to play in the water laying in the yard. Forget it dog! I love ya, but I’m going to sit this one out and stay on the porch.

One of the toughest things of life to except is being informed of the death of a friend or loved one. I’ve come to learn that the impact on the persons closest to the deceased has a heartbreaking effect like something has been ripped from their very being. And all the circumstances surrounding their loss don’t change that feeling. Death may have come unexpectedly and immediate; it may be delayed and come from injuries; and what I’ve witness more of as I age, the deterioration of the body and/or mind due to cancers or the mystery of Alzheimer’s disease. I’ve been expecting a phone-call the past few days that would inform me of the passing of our preacher’s wife. I received that call this morning. Lloyd and Gail Mansfield came to Floresville in late 2012. In less than a year Gail was diagnosed with a form of brain disease that would most likely lead to Alzheimer’s and eventually death. It wasn’t long before she was unable to function in daily life and a hard decision of 24 hour care was made, the best option being a local nursing facility. Lloyd continued to preach and do the Lord’s work, and two or more times every day visited his wife, whom he very much missed in his life. Sometimes, even though we know the pain of separation is coming, we pray God end the suffering when there is no quality of life to be further shared. Thank-you Jesus for answered prayer and all the blessings of this life.

[2 Samuel 12:1-23] David’s sin was forgiven, but the wrath of God was swift in coming as illness struck David’s son and in seven days he died. David’s servants were astonished that he would quickly clean up and get on with life. David said he fasted and wept in hopes God would allow the child to live. “But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.” Amen.

No comments: