Saturday, January 27, 2018

Putting God Before You


There are days when I feel the country is spinning out of control with all the crazy accusations of corruption and abuse oozing from every facet of society. Without getting too upset over it I have, in my uneducated naivety, come to the conclusion that people are actually, or so it appears, attempting to inaugurate some righteous living as a way to improve life. Could it be that prayer is actually being answered? Could it be that God is truly alive and active in the lives of those who believe in His sovereign power to rule over this country? Yes, this country can be great again if only we will allow God to rule over our hearts and minds. The promise of God is – He’ll handle the rest, because I can’t.

Often the Christian may be accused of being narrow-minded because he insists that we must completely obey Christ. Yet, all of life is narrow. There is no room for broad-mindedness in the chemical laboratory. Water is composed of two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. Deviation is forbidden! There is no room for broad-mindedness in music. There are only eight notes in an octave. In the mathematics classroom things are narrow. Geometry, calculus, nor trigonometry allows for zero variation for accuracy. The solution to any problem is either right or it is wrong. On the athletic field the game must be played by the rules otherwise chaos erupts. How then shall we expect that broad-mindedness shall rule in the realm of Christianity and morals? (Paul Sain)

[Psalm 16:8] “I have set the Lord always before me. Because he is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” A powerful lesson we learn from this text is, if we put God before us we will not be moved or shaken. If God is first in our decisions, thoughts and actions then our way will be secure. Notice how this is such a practical lesson. If God comes first in my decisions, then I will want to seek His will. I ask, “What does God say about this matter?” I must strive to only do what God tells me (Luke 6:46; Matthew 7:21). To put God first in my decisions I must know His Word. Jesus said the truth would make us free (John 8:31-32). Paul encourages us to study God’s word to be approved by him (2 Timothy 2:15). How does someone put God before himself in everyday decisions if he does not know God’s will? He cannot. Therefore, it is imperative for me to study God’s Word so that I can make godly decisions. If I am going to put God before me, I must put His will into my thoughts. Paul taught us to bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:3-5). Christians must think on godly and upright things (Philippians 4:6-8).The only way we can put God into our thoughts is to put His righteousness into our minds. The Psalmist said, “I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, O Lord; teach me your decrees” (Psalm 119:10-12). In every situation we should ask, “How would the Lord want me to think?” When we truly put God into our decisions and thoughts we can have safety (Psalm 16:8). The only way we can proclaim the same today is if God is at our right hand in everything we do. Have you put God before you? If you are not a Christian, I encourage you to obey the gospel. To become a Christian you must, Hear God’s Word (Romans 10:17); Believe the Gospel (Hebrews 11:6); Repent (Acts 17:30-31); Confess Christ (Romans 10:9-10); Be Baptized (Acts 2:38; Galatians 3:26-27); Continue in the faith until death (Colossians 1:23; 2 Peter 1:3-11; Revelation 2:10). Life is getting better because we are becoming more obedient.

No comments: