Saturday, July 14, 2018

Wisdom Will Guide You


If asked what is the worst shipwreck of all time, what would you reply? There are some monumental and legendary ones: the Lusitania (1915); the Andrea Doria (1956); the Edmund Fitzgerald (1975). Perhaps you would readily say, “The Titanic.” While certainly one of the most well-known, the sinking of the Titanic (1912) was not the world’s worst shipwreck. On April 27, 1865, the steamship, Sultana (with the capacity of only a few hundred people) was transporting 2500 Union prisoners-of-war home at the end of the Civil War. The ship’s boiler exploded, killing 1500 men, just as their ordeal of battle was about to end. In 225 B.C. off the coast of Camarina, Sicily, a Roman fleet of 264 ships was caught in a violent storm. Of those, 184 ships were driven onto rocks and sank. The death toll from this disaster is thought to have been 80,000 to 100,000 souls. However, even these (labeled the worst shipwrecks in America and world history respectively) were not the worst shipwrecks to occur throughout the history of mankind.

[Psalm 40] Sadly, the worst shipwreck has happened countless times and is sure to happen again and again. Paul spoke of it to Timothy: “Timothy, my son, I give you this instruction in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you might fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith” (1 Timothy 1:18-19). There is no greater disaster than a shipwrecked faith. Many things can bring about this cause. Jesus spoke of those who are choked by the cares and riches of this world (Parable of the Sower: Matthew 13:22). Demas forsook Paul, “...because he loved this world, has deserted me...” (2 Timothy 4:10a). “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs” (1 Timothy 6:10). Conformation to the world (Romans 12:2) and the love for the same (1 John 2:15-17) have likewise caused the way to be littered with the carcasses of once strong souls navigating life. What about you? Is your “ship” faithfully sailing? Or, is it headed for the dangerous rocky shoreline? The book of Proverbs contains great insight for navigating life and avoiding faith shipwreck. Proverbs is divided into 31 chapters, just enough to average one chapter a day each month. The proverbs have been written to give us wisdom and understanding with which anyone can safely navigate life and reach the safe harbor. Perhaps you’re already headed for an unsafe landing. It’s not too late to find the safe sailing lanes again. Determine to set your sails and turn your helm toward faithfulness. Avoid the worst shipwreck of all. “...Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life” (Rev. 2:10c).

“The road is too rough, Dear Lord,” I cried; “There are stones that hurt me so.” And He said, “I understand; I walked it long ago.” “But there is a cool green path,” I said, “let me walk there for a time.” “No,” He answered me, “the green road does not climb.” “My burden is too great,” I said, “How can I bear it so?” “I remember its weight,” He said, “I carried my cross, you know.” “I wish there were friends with me, who would make my way their own.” “Ah, yes,” He said, “Gethsemane was hard to bear alone.” And so I climbed the stony path, content at last to know, that where my Master had not gone I would not have to go. And, strangely, I found new friends; the burden grew less sore, as I remembered long ago He went that way before. Wisdom gives safe passage (Proverbs 2).

No comments: