Saturday, August 18, 2018

It Won't Take Forever


I’ve been a mechanic in one way or another all my life. Semi-retired I still find myself involved in repair projects in and around the facilities of the church where I manage and maintain most of what goes on there. As I mentioned last week, I recently troubleshot my ailing office computer and discovered the hard-drive had failed (never happened to me before). A computer “expert” couldn’t retrieve any data from the deceased, and with out-of-date back-ups, I’ve spent the past week rebuilding my electronic filing cabinet. Another week and I think I’ll be caught up again, including a more disciplined plan of regular back-ups in place. I’m also building more templates, preventing having to rebuild a bunch of forms, which takes forever. You’re never too old to learn from your mistakes.

Most of my life has been spent around automobiles, although I have wrenched on fighter jets and turbo-prop aircraft in the early 70’s. I’ve worked for some good people, partnered with some and have owned my own business (that for twenty years). I was involved in a paint and body shop in the mid and late 70’s and enjoyed the craftsmanship one had to put out every day. But that’s nothing compared to what some master custom shops do today. There are several reality TV shows that are great examples of what is available across the country for anything from full customization to total restoration of any automotive product. The show will start introducing someone, with a truckload of cash, dragging in a four-wheeler of some sort that belonged to their grandfather or somebody. They’ll want it to look showroom floor brand new, or they’ll want it fully customized to a point of unrecognizing it from its original configuration - and make it go fast! The rest of the TV hour-long program deals with the “build” and the finale of the “big reveal” to the customer. The rest of the show is reality, dealing with the problems that come with this sort of professional business. What we don’t get to see is how long it takes to do these jobs. If I remember correctly, it takes forever! And there are lots and lots of problems to be solved along the way. Caution! Fixing something, lipstick and mascara, and restoring something, are totally different things. One is a cover-up to make it look pretty and the other is a complete rebuild to original condition inside and out.

[Psalm 100] “Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.” In this world there are but two things we can count on: God is good and His love endures forever. Think about this: * When your life is out of control ...His love endures forever. * When sin has you trapped ...His love endures forever. * When illness gets you down ...His love endures forever. * When anger has a hold on you ...His love endures forever. * When friends let you down ...His love endures forever. *When you need forgiveness ...His love endures forever. * When there is no where to turn for help ...His love endures forever. God’s love is new and fresh and revitalizing ...every morning ...every noon ... every evening. Some lives are in worse shape than others. God, as a Master-Restorer, has the skill to recreate any person. He will solve problems and produce an amazingly restored and transformed life, and it won’t take forever, if we allow Him to do his work.

No comments: