Saturday, December 01, 2018

What's Your Request?


“What do you want for Christmas” is a question asked millions of times each and every year in the pursuit of one attempting to please another with giving gifts that will bring happiness. When I was a boy, I was into the Sears catalog a full month or two before Christmas. The toy section was full of wants and dreams. I never thought of the expense involved, they were gifts, right? I never did get all I wanted but it seems I always had what I needed. My parent’s monetary constraints never did dampen my wishes though.

[Mark 10:36, 51] Our wish list with a God who has no such constraints would be extensive. If, however, we could only receive those things which were justifiable needs, what would they be? Well, we always need more money, but we’re still living without it. Imagine for a moment that Jesus is literally standing in front of you. With bated breathe you wait for him to say something, and then, to your surprise, His words are in the form of a question, “What do you want me to do for you?” You might have expected him to say, “get your life straight...” or “follow me...” or “go and make disciples...” but not, “What do you want me to do for you?” Why not? Jesus is a servant (Mark 10:45) and is willing to give all he has to you. So, what would you do if Jesus asked what he could for you? Would you ask for greater health? Jesus asked a man who had been lame for 38 years if he wanted to get well (John 5:6). The man said he needed help and Jesus healed him on the spot. Better health is an appropriate request, but we can’t keep it forever. Would you ask for greater faith? A father brought his son to Jesus (Mark 9:14-29). The boy was possessed by a mute spirit that would throw him down, cause him to foam at the mouth, gnash his teeth and become rigid. Jesus’ disciple couldn’t cast the spirit out. The father said to Jesus, “...if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.” Jesus replied, “Everything is possible for him who believes.” The boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” Jesus commanded the spirit to come out of the boy never to enter him again. A stronger faith is an appropriate request. Would you ask for a better relationship with the Lord? This was the desire of the apostle Paul when he said, “I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead” (Philippians 3:10). Paul latter affirmed he was given his desire, “...That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day” (2 Timothy 1: 12).There’s nothing more important than a right relationship with the Lord Jesus growing in His grace and knowledge (2 Peter 3:15-18). The single greatest thing that we truly must have from God is salvation, redemption, forgiveness, and the reward of heaven. It matters not if we prosper in wealth and health is vain, compared to salvation (Matthew 16: 24-27). A person rewarded with heaven is saved from hell. This is the thing we need. This is what we must have and it can only come from Jesus (John 14:6). He, therefore, is the Savior and he stands not only able to provide this but is willing and desirous to do so. Isn’t it ironic that failure to receive the one true thing we need is the result of our refusal to accept it, or for that matter, ask for it? And heaven is yours for the asking and the answers are in God’s Word, Jesus (John 1:14). The gracious Lord of heaven still says, “What do you want me to do for you?” What’s your request?

No comments: