Saturday, February 01, 2020

Are You Hungry?


There is no telling how many times I have made a visit to someone’s house and been asked the question, “Are you thirsty, can I get you something to drink?” Or my favorite, “Are you hungry?” No matter who I visit their politeness of inviting me into their house involves wanting to quench my thirst and/or satisfying my appetite whether I have the need or not. I have although; found that eating has a unique way of bridging the gap of silence between people. You know ...those moments of silence when a conversation of importance is difficult to get started and one person looks to the other and says, “Let’s get something to eat.” It seems we take time to think and express ourselves better, we tend to closely guard our emotions and we also listen more intently when we share a meal.


[Matthew 5:6] I want to ask you something today. “Are you hungry?” If you are, I know some things you’re going to do to satisfy the cravings you might have. First, you will plan a meal; next, you will make preparations; then will come the plight; and finally you will be pleasured. Keeping in mind the desire and hunger we are to have for the Word of God (1 Peter 2:2) and I think we can find some spiritual applications drawn from or physical scenario of hunger. 1) Plan The Meal – Have you ever heard, “Are you trying to cool the entire neighborhood?” Whenever I would walk into the kitchen and find one of my perpetually hungry teenagers standing in front of the open refrigerator, they would hear those exact words. They were planning a meal around what was available to eat. There was no sense in trying to make a sandwich if there was no lunchmeat or cheese. The same is true with fulfilling our hunger for God’s Word. We need first to make plans to study; however our plans will be for naught if we cannot find our Bibles or worse yet, if we don’t own one! 2) Prepare To Eat – We should next prepare to eat; that’s right, prepare to eat! If you have been “snacking” before a meal you’ve probably gone to the table with less an appetite than you would had you stayed away from the little bites! I must prepare myself to study by being focused on my mission. My study will be futile if I approach it with thoughts of sin and worldliness on my mind (Isaiah 59:1-2; James 4:7-10). 3) The Plight – When the dinner bell rings, which way do you run – toward the food or away from the food? If you answered, “It depends on who’s cooking,” you’ve answered correctly! There was once a lady who loved to cook but was no good at it. She thoughtfully made a pie for a man one time; and after she had delivered it, the man took one bite and threw it in the trash. The next Lord’s day, the lady asked him how the pie was and the man replied, “Pie like that doesn’t last long around my house!” You see, if Satan cooked up a dish of false doctrine, we need to recognize it for what it is and run the opposite way ...throw it in the trash! If God is serving a dish through good doctrinal sermons, open Bible class study, or private Bible study, we need to come a-runnin’ when we hear the invite ringing. 4) Be Pleasured – There’s nothing like the last bite of chicken-n-dumplings or of a fresh peach cobbler! How much joy do we receive from our study of God’s Word? Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty (John 6:35). Truly, one who dedicates one’s self to the study of God’s Word will be satisfied with their findings. Let us strive to be filled with knowledge and grow in wisdom (Proverbs 2:1-22) by studying God’s Word (James 1:5-8). Plan your next spiritual meal, make preparations to attend it – find the time, make the plight – fulfill your engagement, and enjoy the pleasures that will be afforded you! Life is more fulfilling on a Godly diet. Bon appétit!

No comments: