Saturday, August 08, 2020

Hang On To The Truth

 I sometimes feel we’re living in this make-believe world where nobody knows the truth any longer and those who do aren’t willing to share it – shades of “A Few Good Men” – “You can’t handle the truth!” I don’t need to know everything, but when it is obvious that outright blatant lies are stripping a free society of its rights - chaos ensues.

If you are my friend, if you are concerned about my soul, give me the truth. Do not flatter me. Do not praise my virtues while remaining silent about my vices. Do not fear the truth will offend me. Do not treasure our friendship and our friendly relations above telling me the truth. Do not think that ignoring my sins, you can help me. Do not think that being blind to my sins will prove yourself charitable. However I may react to it, whatever may be my attitude toward you after you have done it – Give Me the Truth! For the Truth and only the Truth can make me free from the shackles of sin, strengthen me in the pathway of righteousness, and lead me to heaven’s joy. If I am wavering, weak, lukewarm, indifferent, neglectful; if I have been overtaken in a trespass; if I have been drawn into the pleasures of the world; if I have left my first love; if I have been led astray by error; or if I have done none of these, but simply need to grow in knowledge and be edified, Give Me the Truth! Truth is the guide that doesn’t waver or need excuse.

[Proverbs 23:22-23] “Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old. Buy the truth and do not sell it – wisdom, instruction and insight as well.” * Three things in life that, once gone, never come back – Time, Words, and Opportunity. * Three things in life that may never be lost – Peace, Hope, and Honesty. * Three things in life that are most valuable – Love, Faith, and Prayer. * Three things in life that are never certain – Dreams, Success, and Fortune. * Three things in life that make life worthwhile – Hard work, Sincerity, and Commitment. * Three things in life that can destroy a soul – Lust, Pride, and Anger. * Three things in life that are truly constant – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. * When it comes to truth, we must always be buyers and never sellers. Truth is a long-term investment that is worth everything one has. It is an investment that will pay extraordinary dividends as long as one holds on to it. But the moment one sells it; the instant one decides to get rid of it, it will be the most costly mistake they could ever make. Unfortunately, truth is so little valued in this day and age. Today, people hold opinions rather than convictions; people follow personal feelings rather than Biblical precedence. They exalt cultural standards over what God has authorized. We live in a time where truth is being sold like it is nothing more than a cheap trinket at a weekend garage sale. Nowadays the prevailing attitude is MY truth versus YOUR truth. What might be true for you may not be true for me and vice versa. Everyone’s measure is different based on their set of circumstances. How many times have we seen the truth bent, twisted or sold to fit a person’s ideology? Scripture never refers to my truth or your truth, but rather refers to The Truth! ‘To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free”’ (John 8:31-32). Jesus identified God’s Truth as The Truth, and himself as the teacher of God’s Truth. Therefore, the issue is not whether truth exists, or if it is simply relative based on certain circumstances; the issue is not whether there is such a thing as absolute truth. God settles all of those questions and, surprisingly, doesn’t ask for our opinion on the matter. The real issue still stands – how do we respond to truth? Are we buyers or sellers?

No comments: