Saturday, October 10, 2020

Christianity vs. Patriotism

 

Racism; Patriotism; Capitalism; Supremacy; Football; Protests; Christianity. Maybe by now you are all tired of the rhetoric. Some of it has been unkind, some unreasonable, and some just coarse. I pray that you will find the brief thoughts that follow to be none of those things. * I am a Christian first and a Patriot second. I long for the day when God’s people can be as moved and vocal about Jesus as they can be about the country they love. Are we as upset and vocal when the institutions and doctrines of God are disrespected as we are when our nation’s institutions are disrespected? Are we as willing to speak in defense of the cross as we are in defense of the flag? Don’t get me wrong here – love for our country, its founders and the (God guided) writers of our Constitution of freedom and equality, is the glue that holds our Republic together. But don’t forget - we are all aliens in this world and our true citizenship is in heaven (Philippians 3:17-21). * Freedom of Speech must be Tempered with Respect. I am thankful for my “freedom of speech” granted me and protected by the 1st Amendment of our Constitution. But I must keep in mind that this great privilege of freedom must be tempered with respect. For example, I am opposed to the practice of homosexuality, but I will not join myself to groups who share in the same view, when they seek to share that view in a disrespectful way. I, at the same time, must not negate my valid message of love for my fellow man found in the gospel of Christ. Freedom of speech doesn’t license anyone to disrespect others. How and where we exercise our freedom of speech is important (Romans 12:9-21). * Acknowledge the Plight of the Oppressed. We must lose the “get over it already” attitude some people possess. Oppression, injustice, inequality, and discrimination still exists in our country, as it does in most of the world, and to act as if they don’t, because you don’t happen to experience any of them, is ungodly. Godliness lifts the burden from the oppressed, rights the wrongs, and treats all persons equally (Isaiah 1:17; Micah 6:8; Psalm 82:3-4; Matthew 23:23).

[Colossians 3:5-14] It doesn’t take much to get a dog to wag its tail – just a pat on the head, a smile on your face, maybe a bowl of food or a softly spoken word of praise. Children react in much the same way. Kindness has a language all its own and a child is quick to understand it. When considering all my past associations I can recall that some of the roughest characters I’ve known have also been the kindest. As we follow the life of Jesus we are struck by the great consideration with which he treated all persons. No one could doubt his sincerity. For those who knew Jesus intimately, his friendship was a great enveloping love. The fickle crowds turned back to him again and again. The Lord yearned after them as a shepherd after his sheep. Toward his enemies, Jesus evidenced a great and abiding patience. Even toward those whom he condemned he showed no malice. Surely, love suffers long and is kind. What is the flavor of our lives? Do the dogs and even the children slink away when we come near? Are we harsh in our judgments and do we let bitterness creep into our relationships with others? Do we really follow Christ Jesus, our Lord? Jesus told his followers: “A new command I give you - Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another” (John 13:34-35). Your love, or the lack thereof, is showing all the time. May your love be such as to glorify God the Father within this evil world lost in sin. Share with all the saving grace of God that awaits everyone baptized into Christ and his resurrection (Romans 6:1-14).

No comments: