Saturday, April 02, 2022

Live Life Abundantly

 

We are becoming so judgmental of the world just by what we see at the moment, and never really take the time to listen to truth, most of us just scurry off with a self-perceived conclusion of just about any given situation. When I look at a cluster of dandelions, I see a bunch of weeds that are going to take over my yard. Most children see flowers for the elderly neighbor lady or little white balloons that float in the wind as you blow on them. When I feel the wind on my face, I brace myself against it. I think of the chilly weather to come. Children close their eyes, spread their arms and fly with it, until they fall to the ground laughing. When I pray, I’m serious, I use formal words. I ask for personal healing, assistance, or forgiveness. Children pray, “Hi God! Thanks for my toys and my friends. Please keep the bad dreams away tonight.” When I approach a mud puddle, I step around it. All I can see are muddy shoes and floors that need cleaning. Children embrace them. All they can see is dams to be built, rivers to cross and worms to play with. When I look at a homeless soul and they smile at me, I see a smelly, dirty person who probably wants money and I look away. Children see someone smiling at them and smile back. I sometimes wonder if were given children to teach …or to learn from?

You may remember this television commercial from years back advertising a stain removal product. The scene depicts a man interviewing for a job. The man doing the interview questioning cannot hear the answers that the prospect offers because a stain on his shirt is loudly shouting and mocking the man who obviously wants this job. The point is, the stain is so distracting, the person with the stain cannot reach his potential. If only he had applied this stain removal product to his shirt stain before entering the interview!

[1 Peter 5:5-6] We may have similar feelings about our sin stains. Just by their presence we may feel corrupted and constantly held down to our most carnal self. We may feel that when others look at us, the stain is all they can see. Our sin defines us. So, hear this promise from the Lord: “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson’ they shall be as wool” (Isaiah 1:18).

Man’s obligation to God is simple – listen to Him. A speaking God demands listening ears. Man is to be open, honest, humble, and obedient. “So then, my brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God” (James 1:19-20). Prayer is talking to God. We know that. But prayer is also listening to God. We usually forget that. Don’t pray and run off. Fallen man needs to listen to God more than he talks to God. Listening, however, is far more than just listening. God saves us by our ears, not our eyes. Our eyes are always “on.” One has to turn the ears on and keep them on. We are under the authority of God, and we follow His Word, the Bible. We are to live holy lives. We are not existing to pass a religious test. We were created to live an abundant life; “…I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly” (John 10:10). To listen involves the entire self. We have listening ears, minds, hearts, and lives. The Bible constantly warns: ‘But they would not listen.’ What God’s Word teaches us, do it! This is obedience. What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about our life. The “Big Sin” today is to offend someone without even knowing how we did it. How angry we get. Why doesn’t anyone warn us about offending God? Man cannot offend God and get away with it. Don’t think for God – Listen to Him. “...whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it” (Luke 18:17). Lighten up! Live life abundantly.

No comments: