Saturday, September 30, 2023

Walk the Talk

 

Let’s be honest with ourselves. Sometimes we talk a good talk, but we don’t “walk the talk.” In other words, we don’t “practice what we preach.” We put on a pious show for those around us, when it serves our own interests to do so, but within our hearts we are different people altogether. Jesus told the religious pretenders of His day that they were “white-washed tombs” – pretty on the outside, but full of corruption and uncleanliness within (Matthew 23:27-28). How much do we really believe in what we “talk?”

In a small community in the Midwest, construction began on a new bar and dance hall. A great many in the little town were quite upset. They didn’t want this establishment in their area. The local church began a campaign against the facility, praying fervently that God would intervene and stop the opening of the bar. Shortly before the bar was to open, it was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. The members of the church were thrilled – that is, until the owner of the bar sued the church on the grounds that they were responsible for the destruction of his bar because they had prayed for it to fail in some way. The church members vehemently denied any responsibility for what happened, and stated they had no connection to the destruction of the bar in any way whatsoever. When the two parties appeared in court, the judge, after reviewing the evidence and the statements from both sides, commented, “I’m not sure at this point just how I’m going to decide this case, but I can say this: It appears from your respective claims that we have a bar owner who believes in the power of prayer, and an entire church congregation that does not!”

[James 5:16] Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. Have you ever prayed fervently for something, and then acted surprised when you receive it? A congregation prayed and prayed that one of their members would be healed from a terrible disease. When the person was, it was overheard one of the members saying, “I wonder how that happened?” I’ve heard disciples attribute blessings to “good luck,” “chance,” and “pure coincidence.” Is it just possible that these blessings from above could have come about as a result of prayer?! Just how strong is our faith? Do you and I pray believing, or do we pray out of habit? Are we genuinely a people of abiding faith? Let’s “walk the talk.”  

[ Peter 4:12-13] …do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy. When asked about their welfare, most folks will always respond, “I’m doing great!” Sometimes when they are obviously in pain they will still say, “I’m doing great!” I had one particular person explain their response to me by saying, “It makes my friends glad and my enemies mad.” There’s a lot of wisdom in that thought. Whenever I’m around a Christian who has fairly mastered the display of a joyful composure in all circumstances, I’m truly inspired. I want to be that way! I want to make the choice of a life that laughs in the face of adversity and smiles in the presence of pain. I want unending contentment and boundless tranquility in Christ. I want a bounce in my step when my load is heavy. I want my head held high when the cares of the world are threatening to pull it down. I want my suffering for Christ to be seen only by my Father while the world doesn’t have a clue. I want my countenance to make my friends glad and my enemies mad. I want to walk through life with a smile and not a frown. I want to inspire others to a greater mastery of their own problems. Prayer for the ungodly, pray for the persecuted, pray for God’s intervention.

No comments: