Saturday, April 13, 2024

It's Right To Be Right

 

Little Tommy’s grandfather was something of a philosopher and never missed an opportunity to pass on his deep insights into the human condition to his grandson. One day grandpa announced in a sober tone, “Tommy, you need to remember that only fools are absolutely certain, but wise men question.” Tommy asked, “Are you absolutely sure about that, grandpa?” With a straight face the old man nodded his grey head and said, “Yes, Tommy, I’m absolutely certain.” Certainty is a hard commodity to come by these days. Ours is an age when it is cool, philosophically, to not be too sure about anything. A fuzzy view of truth has washed over into our moral, spiritual, and religious views in life. The result is that now all ways are viewed as equally valid, except for the view that says all ways are not equally valid. No view is judged as wrong, except for the view that judges some ways are wrong. A world that prides itself on not being certain about anything is absolutely certain, one cannot be absolutely certain about anything.

In 1770 a fiery Boston lawyer (later to become the second President of the United States) John Adams, very unpopular but very successfully defended some British soldiers in court over what is now known as The Boston Massacre. In his argument before the jury, Adam’s said, “Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”

[The Book of Esther] Sometimes it is hard to challenge a person to do the right thing. Sometimes doing the right thing is very difficult. The decision to stand for the truth may cost one precious friendships, and even family, but it must be done. In Esther we read the account of a man that was King appointed to the highest position of authority, below the king, in Persia. The king commanded all men of a lower position to bow down to him. This man was Haman. Haman plotted to wipe out all the Jews from the land. But there was one God-fearing Jewish man that refused to bow down to Haman named, Mordecai. Mordecai also discovered two of the king’s bodyguards were plotting to kill the king. Mordecai urged Esther, now Queen of Persia, to go to the King and warn him. But unless the king sends for the queen, she could be put to death. Esther knew she had to do the right thing and, even at the risk of her own life, presented herself to the king. We need Esther’s courage to stand for what is right. Although the right thing is sometimes often hard to do, all men, and especially Christians, must do it! The greater risk of the spiritual consequences should outweigh the risk of physical consequences. “…do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell” (Matthew 10:28). Are you surprised? You shouldn’t be. For Christ said the way to heaven is a narrow way, and there are few who will find it (Matthew 7:13-14). Let me encourage you to do the right thing regardless of the cost. Heaven will be worth it! Think about it!

“What if the Lord came tonight, and the way I’ve lived has not been right. What would I give to turn back time, If the way I lived was not in line? If I knew the Savior, but left Him behind, And lived my life as though I were blind; What would my fate be in the end, If I didn’t follow Jesus, my devoted friend? I’ll have to answer for my own fate, for at the last minute it will be too late; If I didn’t take time to fully prepare, And devote my life unto His care. He’s given me time to get it right, And patiently waited both day and night. His coming should be my greatest hour, As He comes for me in a flash of power. God help me prepare for that sweet day, Just help me stay in the narrow way. When life gets hard and I want to flee, I’ll strive to be ready when You come for me.” Author unknown.

No comments: