Saturday, October 10, 2026

Living Is A Challenge

 

I experienced a rather solemn week past, making decisions no one likes to make. My little Chihuahua of thirteen years just couldn’t take another step. Declining in her physical abilities for the past six months, all the meds and love couldn’t reverse or slow the aging process. Normally, my supervisor roams around the yard as I trim and mow the grass, but Wednesday she just laid without concern leaving me to move her out of the way twice as I approached her with the mower. I knew then that time was close as her mobility had nearly come to a complete failure. Thursday morning I could see it in her eyes – the spark wasn’t there anymore. That afternoon I took her to the vet for a quality-of-life exam and as I suspected water and nutrition was not being retained and the best thing for her was to put her to sleep. I wish to give accolades to the staff at Deason Animal Hospital for their care, concern, and compassion they showed me, and assume they share with all who are faced with the decision of having to part with a “member of their family” so to speak. Thanks; Bella is at rest.

A terminally ill man turned to his doctor as he was leaving the examining room and said, “Doctor, I’m afraid to die. Tell me what lies on the other side.” Very quietly the doctor said, “I don’t know…” “You don’t Know? You’re a Christian man and you don’t know what’s on the other side?” The doctor was holding the handle of the door, and on the other side came a sound of scratching and whining. As he opened the door, a dog sprang into the room and leaped on him with an eager show of gladness. Turning again to his patient the doctor said, “Did you notice my dog? He’s never been in this room before. He didn’t know what was inside. He knew nothing but that his master was here. And when the door opened, he sprang in without fear. I know little of what’s on the other side of death – but I do know one thing – I know my master is there and that’s enough for me to want to go without fear.”

Most days “living” is a challenge. We have many responsibilities and challenges that compete with our relationship with God. We are raising a generation that has no real religious concern or eternal focus. As a society, our current generation continues to drift from the Creator. The world around us seems to have put us in survival mode every day.

Christians can live a fruitful, meaningful life, provided we are in the right relationship with God. We can live decisively, abundantly, and eternally as long as we live obediently.

We can live decisively if we make the decision to put God first in our life. Matthew 6:24 tells us, “No one can serve two masters…” True success is based on and a result of putting God first. This is the only foundation that can weather the storms of life without doubt. We can live abundantly once we understand why Jesus came to earth. John 10:10-11 says, “…I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd gives His life for His sheep.” Christ died for our sins that we may have spiritual life eternal. We can live eternally once we focus on the home that awaits us. John 14:2 says, “In my Father’s house are many mansions; …I go to prepare a place for you.” When we want to quit, we should remember why we started. Working and toiling can be difficult at times, but we must not lose focus on why we changed our life and chose to become a Christian. Quitting is not an option for Christians. Christians can live and not just survive by being obedient. Being obedient is hearing God’s Word (Romans 10:17); believing God’s Word (Hebrews 11:6); repenting of sins (Acts 17:30); confessing Jesus as the Son of God (Matthew 16:16); being baptized for the remission of sins (Mark 16:15-16); and remaining faithful unto death (Revelation 2:10). Don’t let living in this world separate you from God who wants to love you for all eternity.

No comments: